Insulation?

Kukendame

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 28, 2010
North Idaho
Hi, I just started this chicken stuff, my family thought I was crazy.
Now, they all go out to check the chicks!
I am transforming my old shed into a chicken coop and I am wondering if I need insulation, I am in north Idaho but we rarely get below freezing. I have added an inside layer of plywood for extra insulation but I'm wondering if it is enough. I also have one window in the shed and I'm adding a vent above the door, should I add more?
And, is painting the inside more for cosmetics or does it make it easier to clean? So many questions!
wee.gif

I would definitely add insulation while I had the chance. Just make sure none of the insulation is exposed, or the chickens will eat it. As for venting--whats the size of the coop/barn?

The barn is 8 X 12 which is divided by a screened wall, the coop area is about 8X6. The coop is attached to a dog run 6X20, which they will have access to during the day. Once I get the deer fence up I will let them free range the yard. But we have a lot of wild critters, especially hawks, so I'm very hesitant to let them run without supervision.
What kind of insulation do you recommend? Do I have to do the whole thing or just the coop side?
Thank you for your help. I think its better to get it done right before the girls move in.

Keep in mind that insulation does not only help with heating in the winter but cooling in the summer. Plywood is better than nothing but is not really an insulator. a half inch of foam board would be a lot better and could be placed behind the plywood. As far as ventilation. from what I have read the more the better which may just make your insulation issue a non issue.

I have a 10x10 coop with plywood walls. There is enough ventilation without being drafty. That's the biggest problem. Drafts. You don't want your chickens to have to put up with that while roosting. A good heat lamp and they'll be fine. Insulation is ok but always make sure there's good ventilation to the outside air.

i am in upstate ny and we insulated our coop.. but we are on a hill top with tons of heavy winds and lots of snow.. we also have no shade. so the insulation keeps in the warmth during the winter and keeps it cool in summer.. the ventilation is for moisture and smells to be removed and should be high up. if during the winter there is moisture from poop, breath etc they get damp and get frostbite on combs wattles and feet, you need air exchange all the time just not blowing on them.. above their heads is fine as all the moisture is in the warmer air that rises to the top and out, we also have a 2x4 layed flat so they can sit on their feet and keep their toes warm while they sleep. we also have electicity to the coop as the water freezes and we plug in a water dish heater to keep it thawed out. all this i learned from PAT she is the wizard here.. so have fun and as long as there are no air leaks on them i wouldn't worry about insulating.

We insulated with reg insulation in the walls covered with plywood.And board insulation on the ceiling with vents for ventilation.
Someone mentioned a heat lamp.If you do this do NOT rely on the clamp that comes with the lamp.Many people ,some on this very forum have lost their chickens from fires due the clamp not working correctly. We hung ours from a hook tied securely.

oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the advice!
I think I will put in some insulation. We have pretty mild winters here as far as cold but we can get a lot of snow.
I Would rather have to add vents than to put in a heater.

I would read patandchickens BYC page on Winter Coop Temperatures and Ventilation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

What I have read of chickens, they can handle cold MUCH better than they can handle heat. Thus insulation for cold is not necessary. "NO DRAFTS", is key.

I would also get a good book like Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow, it's a very good resource and quite thorough.

From what I've read, some key points:
1. Moisture is your enemy, build LOTS of ventilation.
2. Caulk the gaps to prevent DRAFTS (make sure the chickens can't reach it to eat the caulk/weatherstripping).
3. Paint inside to make clean up WAY easier.
4. If you want to put in insulation, then do it. It'll make them more comfortable, but apparently it's not absolutely necessary.

I don't know if you got your chicks yet, but my word, they POOP ALOT. And I only have 4 right now with 8 more on the way! They poop constantly. CONSTANTLY.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom