Insulation?

when you say regular house insulation do you mean the boards or the soft pink or yellow stuff? what R value did you add to yours?

Hi, this is my first winter with my flock-6 rhode island reds, and 4 blue splash marans. My coop is home built of decking boards, 8x5x6, I have the ceiling insulated with regular house insulation, and I put up foam insulation on the inside today, b/c temps are to get really really frigid here in PA. Is that ok? Or should I not have done that? I also have a good layer of straw on the floor of the coop, and in the nesting boxes.
Thanks!

Justins Wife - How are your chickens? Hopefully after tonight we will be through the worst of the cold for the time being, with temperatures expected to at least rise above freezing this week-end. Surprisingly, with highs in the teens and lower during the day, mine have been able to keep their water from freezing over completely by pecking a hole in the ice so they can drink from below the ice, and they're still laying eggs. How amazing nature is. I hope your flock has done well :)

They are dou

Justins Wife - How are your chickens? Hopefully after tonight we will be through the worst of the cold for the time being, with temperatures expected to at least rise above freezing this week-end. Surprisingly, with highs in the teens and lower during the day, mine have been able to keep their water from freezing over completely by pecking a hole in the ice so they can drink from below the ice, and they're still laying eggs. How amazing nature is. I hope your flock has done well :)
Thanks! They are doing very well! I only got 2 eggs today, but have been getting between 4 & 5! They've been laying better now than in the warm weather! Lol! Fudgie (my rooster) had some minimal frostbite on his comb, but everyone else is good. How are your girls?

Back
Top Bottom