Integrate two separate hatchdates?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bauerdog, Jun 26, 2016.

1. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    I am gifting my nieces with pullets next week. My question is: I have a February 9th hatch that yielded just 2 pullets. And I have the Easter HAL that yielded 8 pullets. The two flocks have never met without a fence. Do you think that just adding the two older pullets into the Easter HAL flock in a completely different environment (my sister's new coop) would work? Or should I just leave the older two pullets out of the mix? They have never owned chickens before. So I can't count on them to report excessive bullying....

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmmm......
    ......could work with an environment brand new to both groups.
    ....could be a disaster for new chicken keepers.

Might depend on the new coop and run setup...size, diversions, 'hiding' places, etc.
    Might depend on how far away you are to help 'observe and manage'...and maybe remove older bullies if necessary.

Would indeed be much simpler to not include the 2 older ones.....
    .....there's enough for newbies to learn without that potential problem thrown into the mix.

That probably doesn't help much, huh?
    Best of cLuck!

1 person likes this.
  3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I hope you are more successful. Chicks raised together seem to stay together and when they are from different batches they may live together but none of mine have ever integrated. They are cliche like a bunch of high school girls. They only want to hang around their friends and not really hang out with anyone new.
    Caroline

1 person likes this.
  4. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    You guys just confirmed my suspicions. I can't rely on them to know what is normal behavior. Just asking for trouble....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by