Integrating 1 pullet into a flock of 6 hens (exact same age)

AnneRaduns

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
Central Florida
I originally had 10 day-old chicks from Meyer hatchery that were shipped to me on March 14. About May 1 when they were all 6 weeks old, I kept 6 and gave 4 to my best friend. I integrated my 6 chicks/pullets in with my other older 5 hens. To make a long story short, my best friend gave one of the pullets back to me last weekend because I lost one of my older hens to a hawk. So all the pullets are the same age. Any tips or advice to integrating this one pullet back into the flock?

Do not integrate a single bird to an established flock. That is a recipe for a disaster. What you want to do, is introduce her to a single bird, then later introduce the pair to the flock. You can get her in there, but it takes a lot of fiddling around.

First, let all the others out for the day. Lock the new one in by herself into the coop/run. This will allow her to explore, find the feed stations, the hide outs calmly without being chased for her life. At night, put her in a dog crate, let the others in roost in the coop.

Day two - repeat

Day three - pick a middle of the flock bird. Not the top birds, and not the bottom birds. If you don't know, walk out aways, toss down a treat. First birds are top, last ones are bottom, get one bird out of the middle.

Let out the birds, except for the middle bird and the new bird. They get locked in the coop/run. There will probably be a dust up or two, but one on one, won't be too bad and should settle pretty quickly. This is MUCH better one on one, than 6 to one. Rinse repeat, keeping this pair together.

Then, as close to dark as possible let the others in to go to roost. Get down there early in the morning and check on them frequently on that day.

Mrs K

I suggest that you do the normal see-don't-touch procedure but after a number of days put one of the current pullets into the integration pen with her. Then, after they bond and you're ready to release her, the new girl will have a buddy.
That is a fantastic idea. I feel bad for her because she's lonely. But putting another pullet in there so she has a buddy is just perfect. Thank you so much for always providing great answers and insight. I very much appreciate your wisdom.

Do not integrate a single bird to an established flock. That is a recipe for a disaster. What you want to do, is introduce her to a single bird, then later introduce the pair to the flock. You can get her in there, but it takes a lot of fiddling around.

First, let all the others out for the day. Lock the new one in by herself into the coop/run. This will allow her to explore, find the feed stations, the hide outs calmly without being chased for her life. At night, put her in a dog crate, let the others in roost in the coop.

Day two - repeat

Day three - pick a middle of the flock bird. Not the top birds, and not the bottom birds. If you don't know, walk out aways, toss down a treat. First birds are top, last ones are bottom, get one bird out of the middle.

Let out the birds, except for the middle bird and the new bird. They get locked in the coop/run. There will probably be a dust up or two, but one on one, won't be too bad and should settle pretty quickly. This is MUCH better one on one, than 6 to one. Rinse repeat, keeping this pair together.

Then, as close to dark as possible let the others in to go to roost. Get down there early in the morning and check on them frequently on that day.

Mrs K
Wonderful. I so appreciate your answer. She spent the last 2 days in the coop/run by herself so get the lay of the land. Sounds like tomorrow my new pullet with get put into the run with what will be her new best friend :)

How did this work out for you? Did you add the one pullet in with the newbie? I have a new hen we adopted from a neighbor, we’re on about day 3 of trying to integrate her into our flock of 4. Our 4 are about 10 months old and the newbie is somewhere around 1.5 years old. We’ve been doing the no touch method and i know it’s early, but I’m worried they’ll never warm up to her. I might try putting a hen in the coop with her tomorrow, I like that idea.

Back
Top Bottom