Integrating 24 hour chicks with a 1week old?

Themez

Hatching
Jul 2, 2017
hi all,
I just hatched my first chick 8 days ago, then 24 hours then 12 hours! ( salvage hatch). I have the oldest in the brooder box, 24 hour in own box in the brooder box and need to put the new chick somewhere tomorrow. The 24 hour ok'd is fairly aggressive. Am I safe to put him in with the older? They seem to peck at one another but this is my first time hatching my own chicks. Help?

An 8 day old chick would probably harass a 24 hour old chick too much. I would keep them separate for another week or so, but able to see each other. Ditto with the just hatched.

Perhaps after a week or 10 days, you can see about integrating them...but you may have to wait until the youngest can defend itself or at least run away from the older.

LofMc

Thank you for your response! Do you think I can put this newly hatched ( earlier today) in with the 24 hour old chick? Was hoping to do so in the morning.

That *should* work as it is common for chicks to hatch within 24 hours of each other...but you stated that the 24 hour chick is aggressive? If so, watch closely.

But it is very common for chicks to hatch within 24 hours of each other and be fine.

Just be sure the little one has dried off and is stable on its feet.

LofMc

Thank you. They are Icelandic chickens....very hardy so hopefully they will get along! I'm wondering if the aggressive chick is a rooster. Ha!

I usually keep newly hatched chicks separate from the older 1-2 week olds until the little ones are stronger and able to stand up for themselves. When I put them in with the bigger chicks there are a couple of pecks on the head, but that's about it. I also make sure my brooders aren't overcrowded to avoid any aggressive behavior.

Back
Top Bottom