Integrating 32 Week old Orphs with 13 week old astrolorps

tinkarooni

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have had the 13 weeks old out in the coop in a seperate cage but I want to put them all together. When I let the little ones to free range with the big ones the big ones chase them and goose them. Should I just let them work it out? I feel so bad for the little ones. All hens by the way no roosters. Can you give me ideas on how to do it? WIll the little ones survive? I was going to leave the crate out for the little ones to hide in. I have 9 orphs about 32 weeks old and 4 astrolorps about 13 weeks old.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

That's what I thought that they should be about the same size, but I see others integrating before than so I wondered if I was being a wimp. The chickens have all been in the same coop for a few weeks but the chicks have been in an extra large dog crate so the big girls can't peck them. In the afternoons when the temp is mild I go out and let them all in the pasture to free range but they gang up on the little ones. I break it up.

Going through the same thing here right now. We are waiting a few more weeks until the younger ones are close in size to the bigger ones; in the meantime we have our run divided so they can see each other through the fence.
When we get ready to combine them, we will do it at night when they are asleep--so when they wake up they'll all be together & hopefully not as much 'henpecking' while they re-arrange order.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Also helps to have extra feeders and waterers out when you do this as the adults can sometimes starve the younger ones out. And places for them to hide to get away from attacks.

I agree. I think it's a good idea that they can see each other for awhile before actually putting them together. I would wait a little longer until they are nearly the same size. I did the same as you. First I let them range together. They will still go through establishing their pecking order. Just watch for drawing of blood. They will work it out.

Back
Top Bottom