Integrating 4 pullets to Single Hen

I have added several pallets, plywood box, and there is a brooder that provides cover. I hope you are right about them sneaking out when i am not looking. If i go out this afternoon to remove them and show them the water and other feeders, should i close the pop door to prevent them from going right back in and let them spend the rest of the day outside? I don't want to stress them more but would like to show them that their entire run is a safe space and their home.

That could be a good idea since there is shelter there now.

That could be a good idea since there is shelter there now.
Went out and chased the girls out of the coop. Of course Bigs wanted in the coop so they have pulled the ole switcharoo. I locked bigs in the coop by herself and left the girls in the run. Plan to leave them like this for an hr or so bc I expect Bigs to lay soon and didn't want to keep her from getting into her nest. Also figured it would give the girls some time to get used to the run without her out there. Will go back, check, and update again later this afternoon.

Bigs layed and has been re-released into the run, the nests are now blocked until tomorrow morning and all 5 are in the run. Small amount of chasing but nothing that resulted in even a slight peck. The girls did not immediately run back into the coop. Hopefully this helps, i will probably do the same thing tomorrow for a bit to ensure Bigs gets her nest and the girls continue to be forced to spend time in the run.

I guess there was a small success today, the girls spent some time in the run where they atleast learned where the water and other feeders are, Bigs got to get into her nest and lay, and i was able to block the nests for the night. The girls have been back in the coop pretty much since i opened the pop door but atleast they are just hanging on the roost now and not pooping in the nests. Baby steps...

Locked them all out of the coop for about an hour and half today. A bit of chasing but no pecking. The girls seemed to get comfortable and were actually being chickens just a minute ago digging themselves a nice hole for a group dust bath. Now the pop door is open because it is close to laying time for Bigs. I am hoping they stay out enjoying the fresh air. All seems to be going fairly well except i still have to force them out of the coop, and unless the nest box is covered (which i can't leave it blocked), they get in there and thrash all the bedding out and replace it with poop :he

When i checked on them last night, Bigs had kicked them all off of the roosts and they were sleeping in the corner which i expect is fairly normal.
Dust hole.jpg
Dust 2.jpg

Not quite sure what your coop looks like, but could you add another roost a bit lower than what queen Bee is on. And another idea is block off the nests and leave them blocked off. Create a new nest in a box on the floor. By putting it on the floor, it will make the roost more attractive. Birds want to roost as high as they can. So lowering the nests, can raise the roost so to speak.

Add a couple of fake eggs, and the old girl will figure it right out.

People kind of think that you dare not move the nests, or they will lay all over the place. Never really had a problem. Mine have always seemed to occasionally like a new place. If all of a sudden you don't have eggs, it is often a hidden nest that they have come up with themselves.

Just some ideas. For some crazy reason, I had some molting birds, hanging in the nests and no one is laying. I put together a nest with eggs, and set it on the floor. Going down at dark, to see who is roosting where... crazy chickens!

Not quite sure what your coop looks like, but could you add another roost a bit lower than what queen Bee is on. And another idea is block off the nests and leave them blocked off. Create a new nest in a box on the floor. By putting it on the floor, it will make the roost more attractive. Birds want to roost as high as they can. So lowering the nests, can raise the roost so to speak.

Add a couple of fake eggs, and the old girl will figure it right out.

People kind of think that you dare not move the nests, or they will lay all over the place. Never really had a problem. Mine have always seemed to occasionally like a new place. If all of a sudden you don't have eggs, it is often a hidden nest that they have come up with themselves.

Just some ideas. For some crazy reason, I had some molting birds, hanging in the nests and no one is laying. I put together a nest with eggs, and set it on the floor. Going down at dark, to see who is roosting where... crazy chickens!
These are all good ideas, I will probably have to continue doing what I have been doing until Saturday when i have enough time to get into the coop and put in a roost and put together a make shift nest. I think i have a couple of ~12x12 pieces of plywood i could quickly make a box.
Thanks!

...put together a make shift nest. I think i have a couple of ~12x12 pieces of plywood i could quickly make a box.

You could probably use a cardboard box, instead of needing to make one out of wood.

Of course it won't last forever, but inside the coop (no rain) it will probably be fine for a few weeks, and I expect that would be long enough.

Back
Top Bottom