Integrating 5 - 1yr old hens with 4 - 12 wk old pullets?

Aug 21, 2022
This topic is discussed a lot, but I need some reassurance as it's my first time.

I have four 12wk old pullets that I've started integrating with my five hens. I brooded them indoors till 6 weeks, then put them in a grow-out brooder in our coop. It's an area coordinated off by hardware cloth. They have slept in this area near the hens for 6 weeks now. They even sleep on the same roost separated by the hardware cloth.

A couple times I let out the hens into a separate run so that the pullets can explore the full coop and attached run. And I've had them together a couple times.

There is quit a bit of pecking order "pecking" going on and the pullets seem terrified. I'm assuming this is normal? Will this slow down as order has been set and the pullets get bigger?

The grow out brooder worked well, it's just the final integration that makes me anxious.

Thanks in advance for tips!

Some pecking is indeed normal . It seems this is unavoidable. And it seems you have done a great job so far with the integrating proces.

To avoid pecking as much as possible:
  • Supply feed and water in many spots.
  • Make hiding places. If possible some that are not accessible for the adult hens but have openings where the young ones can go through. I used carton boxes 📦 for it. They hold a long time if you make a plastic cover (bag) on top with duct tape.
  • Give more space and things to do. Let them free range if possible. Enlarge the run. Make toys/things. Scatter some leaves / grasses from mowing. Etc.

Is there a door between the grow out area and main coop?
In the beginning, I didn't make an opening between the two groups, but this week I cut a door in the hardware cloth that the pullets can fit through, not the hens. And I can push it close if need be. Today was a test run. I put all but one of the hens in an outer run. I then opened the hardware cloth door. Then did come out. Over-time I added one hen back in at a time. I could see that the little gals were getting overwhelmed at times. They just couldn't figure out how to get back to their safe space. I'm thinking I need to put in areas they can hide under, etc. We do have multiple roost bars and they did utilize them. I know it's a normal process, but being that these are my second set of pullets I wasn't sure how they would work it out.

Some pecking is indeed normal . It seems this is unavoidable. And it seems you have done a great job so far with the integrating proces.

To avoid pecking as much as possible:
  • Supply feed and water in many spots.
  • Make hiding places. If possible some that are not accessible for the adult hens but have openings where the young ones can go through. I used carton boxes 📦 for it. They hold a long time if you make a plastic cover (bag) on top with duct tape.
  • Give more space and things to do. Let them free range if possible. Enlarge the run. Make toys/things. Scatter some leaves / grasses from mowing. Etc.
Thanks! All good ideas. Boxes are a great idea too. I plan on using that idea. We don't free range but have a good-sized covered run. What we also plan on doing is creating a chunnel from the run to a circular net-covered area that I can move often. I know chicken owners say don't worry too much about predators, but our neighbor has had three chickens snatched from our friendly neighborhood hawks. Plus, I have a pretty sizable veggie and flower garden that I don't want chickens in.

I agree with BDutch. When we had 6 hens in half the backyard we had 6 pullets we had them use 1 of the coops with adjoining fenced run. One of the pullets got thru the fence into the yard (huge learning experience- had to try a couple things to block that happening again. 😁) the hens definitely pecked at the chick before I could catch her. We let the hens in the run to see what would happen 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ bad idea- we had to get the hens back out and let the chicks grow old enough to start laying themselves, then we opened the run and let the older chickens in the run and younger out into the yard and let them work things out. We just kept an eye on them.

In the beginning, I didn't make an opening between the two groups, but this week I cut a door in the hardware cloth that the pullets can fit through, not the hens.
With the chicks at 12 weeks, I'll bet anything they can fit thru most the hens can too?
Got pics?

And I can push it close if need be. Today was a test run. I put all but one of the hens in an outer run. I then opened the hardware cloth door. Then did come out. Over-time I added one hen back in at a time. I could see that the little gals were getting overwhelmed at times. They just couldn't figure out how to get back to their safe space. I'm thinking I need to put in areas they can hide under, etc. We do have multiple roost bars and they did utilize them. I know it's a normal process, but being that these are my second set of pullets I wasn't sure how they would work it out.
Best to make sure the chicks know the way back in before letting the hens back into the coop.

With the chicks at 12 weeks, I'll bet anything they can fit thru most the hens can too?
x2. I find that about 8 weeks is max for using "panic openings" that adult birds can't fit through. Even my heaviest hen with proper motivation (i.e. chick feeder is better) found a way to shove herself into an opening the width of a brick.

Got pics?

Best to make sure the chicks know the way back in before letting the hens back into the coop.
20230601_132009.jpg
20230513_162155.jpg

Back
Top Bottom