Integrating 5 wk old bantams with "regular" sized- all chicks

goodwiab

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Hi!
I have 5 5.5 week old Japanese bantam babes that have a very established pecking order. Unfortunately, two of them are going to go to another family, as they are roosters. So, very soon I will have three 6 wk old bantam pullets and three 3 week old "regular sized" chicks. The regular sized are two leghorn, and one ISA brown. I have already put the female bantams in (one at a time) with all three of the "regular" chicks and it seemed to go just fine (but I only put them in a pen together outside for 20 minutes at a time). How should I introduce them further? I would very much like to just put them into the coop and run at the same time, not bantams first then "regular" chicks, so I'm totally fine keeping the bantams in the brooder for an additional week or two. I was going to put them all in the brooder together the day after I give the roos away so that pecking order could be re-established by all, but not sure if that was best. I am brand new to chicken keeping and although I am absolutely loving it its also giving me so much anxiety!!

Sounds like they should be ok together, helps a bit that your bantams are the older ones. How big are the brooder(s) (is it just 1 that's divided? 2 separate ones?) If it's 1 big unit, remove the divider and see how they do together for more than 20 minutes. If it's 2 units, put them all in the bigger of the brooders.

Waiting until the males are gone might help shake things up for a smoother integration, not sure how soon you were planning to rehome those guys.

I have already put the female bantams in (one at a time) with all three of the "regular" chicks and it seemed to go just fine (but I only put them in a pen together outside for 20 minutes at a time). How should I introduce them further?
Good Job!
Keeping juggling like this, mix and match.

I would very much like to just put them into the coop and run at the same time
Good idea too. New territory to all.

Ok so I said goodbye to my roos today (cried) but they are both going to have their own little flocks and be a lot happier. I decided to introduce everyone (3 six week old bantams and 3 three week old leghorn and ISA brown) in the space where I keep the brooders (put towels down everywhere and they have each played here separately before). It went...ok. The one head bantam pullet I have was VERY much about telling the younger chicks (2 leghorn and 1 ISA brown) that she was head hen, and the two other bantams definitely backed her up (its honestly very fascinating to watch). She (head bantam hen) seemed to be more ok with the two leghorns than the ISA brown, which she definitely kept pecking on. She wasn't going "after"her per se, but when I put a treat down, she let all of them eat together except that one, who she would peck if she ate from the stick (she was ok with the ISA eating ground scraps however). It's interesting, because the leghorns I believe, pick on the ISA as well. ISA is definitely going to be the biggest of them all, but is this ok?? I know that pecking order is a real thing, but I'm worried that she will get bullied. I put them in their separate (50 gal each) brooders tonight, and plan to put them in the outside run together tomorrow (I plan on putting newbies out first, then the bantams). I then plan to *hopefully* put them all in the same (50 gal) brooder together after, thinking that they'll be tired. Does this sound ok?

Back
Top Bottom