Integrating 7 chicks

Yes, I’m not going to either I just want to mentally prepare and physically prepare ☺️I’m also going out of town when they’re 9 weeks so I’m hoping to have harmony among the chickens before I go.
I have to disagree with waiting, especially since you already know you're going to be out of town. So if I were you I'd start see but no touch right away, by fencing off part of the run for the chicks only. After 1-2 weeks, depending on the adults reaction, you can add chick only openings to the chick area so they can use the space for refuge. Chick only doors only work up to around 8 weeks of age BTW, after that the openings need to be big enough that hens can likely fit.

My chicks start mingling with the flock at 2 weeks old, which takes advantage of the fact that chicks are much smaller and agile than hens. My goal is to have chicks fully moved in with adults by 4 weeks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - you can skip the first half which is just about brooding, 2nd half is all about setting up for early integration.

You do have some clutter in your run which will be useful but you may need to add more, or move stuff around to ensure the chicks have adequate hiding spots.

I have to disagree with waiting, especially since you already know you're going to be out of town. So if I were you I'd start see but no touch right away, by fencing off part of the run for the chicks only. After 1-2 weeks, depending on the adults reaction, you can add chick only openings to the chick area so they can use the space for refuge. Chick only doors only work up to around 8 weeks of age BTW, after that the openings need to be big enough that hens can likely fit.

My chicks start mingling with the flock at 2 weeks old, which takes advantage of the fact that chicks are much smaller and agile than hens. My goal is to have chicks fully moved in with adults by 4 weeks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - you can skip the first half which is just about brooding, 2nd half is all about setting up for early integration.

You do have some clutter in your run which will be useful but you may need to add more, or move stuff around to ensure the chicks have adequate hiding spots.
Wow! I loved that. I read the entire thing. I think I’ll start integration like… today!

Back
Top Bottom