Integrating 7 chicks

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
Hello! I have 7 chicks that I will need to integrate into my current flock of 6. I know I need to do the whole see don’t touch deal but I truly cannot think of a way to do that. How could I contain 7 hens among another 6? I have dog crates but they aren’t going to be big enough…. The chicks were 4 weeks old yesterday.

Can you post pictures or just describe your run space? My experience in integration (joining up 19 babies with an existing flock of 13) mostly just involved a separate sleeping space and putting up chicken wire for a temporary divider. After a little while I realized the babies could easily outrun my big chickens as there is a lot of space + places to hide, so now they range with no dividers and just sleep separately at night.

I don't know your birds' personalities, but I've had luck with just giving the chicks a hiding place that they can fit into, but the adults cannot.

maybe cut a small door in one of the dog crates with a feeder and waterer inside for the chicks?

other possibility, do the dog crates disassemble into panels? can you combine them into some sort of playpen?

Can you post pictures or just describe your run space? My experience in integration (joining up 19 babies with an existing flock of 13) mostly just involved a separate sleeping space and putting up chicken wire for a temporary divider. After a little while I realized the babies could easily outrun my big chickens as there is a lot of space + places to hide, so now they range with no dividers and just sleep separately at night.
Yes, I will post pictures! There is a tunnel that runs behind the coop and shed into the run, also pictured.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
I'd just section off a corner in the coop, and make a couple hidey holes that the chicks can get in and out of. The only thing that concerns me is the tunnel, if they get trapped in there between 2 hens might not be good. Is the run predator proof?

I'd just section off a corner in the coop, and make a couple hidey holes that the chicks can get in and out of. The only thing that concerns me is the tunnel, if they get trapped in there between 2 hens might not be good. Is the run predator proof?
The run is not predator proof unfortunately. I used chicken wire and I know predators can rip right into it. The tunnel is fairly wide. I’ve crawled through it so they shouldn’t get trapped

So I have a backup feeder and then I would need a backup waterer. I’m trying to think of the best way to prop the wire up… I have those green fence stakes but not sure how to keep them standing

I don't mix hens and chicks until they are at least 6-7-8-9 weeks old.
Yes, I’m not going to either I just want to mentally prepare and physically prepare ☺️I’m also going out of town when they’re 9 weeks so I’m hoping to have harmony among the chickens before I go.

Back
Top Bottom