Integrating a New Duck

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
I recently got a new baby duck but the owners lied about her age. They said she was 3 weeks old but shes the size of a newly hatched. I set her in with my current ducks (supervised closely!) For a few minutes, but the other ducks hate her! The geese, guineas, and turkeys treat her like they are their own already, snuggling up to her etc., but the other ducks take every chance they can to bite and shake her neck. I separated her with bricks between her and the rest, but the poor girl is trying so hard to get back with the other ducks even though shes been bitten every time. Right now they can hear her but not see her. What should I do??? Shes meant to be a mate for the very khaki thats biting her!

Integration can take some time. I would not keep a young duckling with full grown ducks since unfortunately they could seriously hurt her. To help integration, I would put up a barrier for at least a couple weeks so that she can see the other ducks but cannot be hurt by them. Something like hardware cloth would work well. Don't forget she'll need a heat source as well if she's only a few days old. The barrier will help to slowly integrate her to the flock.

You also mentioned she wants to get back with the others. Since she should not be with them yet, I would consider getting another duckling close in age to be her companion. Ducks are very social animals, so it makes sense that she wants to be with the others. In the meantime, try to spend time with her to keep her company. Some have had success giving a mirror or a stuffed animal as well.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out well!

Integration can take some time. I would not keep a young duckling with full grown ducks since unfortunately they could seriously hurt her. To help integration, I would put up a barrier for at least a couple weeks so that she can see the other ducks but cannot be hurt by them. Something like hardware cloth would work well. Don't forget she'll need a heat source as well if she's only a few days old. The barrier will help to slowly integrate her to the flock.

You also mentioned she wants to get back with the others. Since she should not be with them yet, I would consider getting another duckling close in age to be her companion. Ducks are very social animals, so it makes sense that she wants to be with the others. In the meantime, try to spend time with her to keep her company. Some have had success giving a mirror or a stuffed animal as well.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out well!
My current ducks are only 3 weeks old, not even feathered yet. My little guineas and turkeys accept her as their own tho with no problems, so I've separated the two, with ducks on one side and the guineas on the other side (hardware cloth is separating them). The baby duck is with the guineas now and she seems much more comfortable. (Theyre all the same size rn)

Photos for age and size reference. First pic is my current khaki and the second is the new one

Attachments

• 20200609_112932.jpg
    20200609_112932.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200609_112942.jpg
    20200609_112942.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 17
My current ducks are only 3 weeks old, not even feathered yet. My little guineas and turkeys accept her as their own tho with no problems, so I've separated the two, with ducks on one side and the guineas on the other side (hardware cloth is separating them). The baby duck is with the guineas now and she seems much more comfortable. (Theyre all the same size rn)
Thanks for the clarification; it sounds like you have a good setup for her :thumbsup. I would just wait a couple weeks for the others to get used to her and try again. I integrated mine of different ages after they had seen each other for a few weeks from across a barrier and had no issues. They can be nasty with an unfamiliar duck for some reason though. Glad your guineas and turkeys took to her!

Thanks for the clarification; it sounds like you have a good setup for her :thumbsup. I would just wait a couple weeks for the others to get used to her and try again. I integrated mine of different ages after they had seen each other for a few weeks from across a barrier and had no issues. They can be nasty with an unfamiliar duck for some reason though. Glad your guineas and turkeys took to her!
Of course! I'd never put that small of a duck with grown ducks, or any birds of vastly different size together. The guineas and turkeys immediatly took to her, as soon as I set her down they were by her side and cuddling next to her, hiding under and over her, etc with no aggression whatsoever. The geese are pretty indifferent to her, but the ducks IMMEDIATLY were like "ATTACK HER NECK". I can't set her down even near them because they'll chase her and bite down on her neck, it leaves her neck all red and i don't know if this means they want to kill her, or what. Im hoping since the guineas and turkeys like both sets of waterfowl that when i put them back together the ducks will see that the guineas accept her and accept her too?

I'm bringing my Pekin duckling to a new home tomorrow, but my Khaki will be staying here. So would I be able to integrate her faster this way since there's only gonna be one that doesn't like her? Or will the duck still be in kill mode? I'm not sure how ducks minds work...

Ducks understand Ducks. What you think is mean is just duck behaviour. Try putting them outside together in a neutral spot and I bet they will become fast friends.
Well I put the pool down in the middle of the yard where neither of them have been before and I put them all down, all was well for about a minute until the khaki boy saw the little one and started chasing her to grab her by the neck. I hope they'll grow up to start laying eggs together still though...

Well I put the pool down in the middle of the yard where neither of them have been before and I put them all down, all was well for about a minute until the khaki boy saw the little one and started chasing her to grab her by the neck. I hope they'll grow up to start laying eggs together still though...
That's what mles do. He is being dominant and until they figure each other out it will remain the same.

Back
Top Bottom