1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating a new flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gearmpr, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Gearmpr

Gearmpr Out Of The Brooder

When integrate a flock into another existing flock, should I remove the dominant chicken from the new flock to make integrating easier? This new flock has been together but their dominant hen is still in the process of being elected soooo. Should I leave her or remove her

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not sure it will help in the long run since once an alpha hen is removed, another takes its place. There's lots of threads on integration, so I'd suggest searching for them to help you find an approach that will work for you. Feel free to post any further questions on this issue using this thread that you've created.

All the best

Ct

1 person likes this.
  3. Gearmpr

I know but I already have an alpha in my existing flock, they act like two separate flocks in one coop, so Idk what's best

4. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    Are the flocks the same age? If not then I'd expect two sub flocks to form. I doubt there's too much you can do but let them sort things out on their own. As long as no blood is being drawn and they are happy I would not worry.

Ct

5. Gearmpr

Well one is a mixed flock of my own, ranging 3yrs- 1yr olds. The new flock is is from an egg farm, not sure on their age but they seem to be about 1-2yrs old

6. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    It's common for sub flocks to form so if they are not fighting then maybe just accept things as they are.
    Ct

1 person likes this.
  7. Gearmpr

Idk if they fight or not yet, they've been avoiding each other so far

8. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    I think that's ok to be honest

Ct

9. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Actually, even with your cryptic descriptions, it sounds as if things are going quite well. You probably have plenty of room, so the two flocks are comfortable being two flocks. This is very normal with chickens. Even adding young chicks to an adult flock will most often result in the chicks forming their own sub-flock.

Only after many years, as attrition claims members of each sub-flock, do flocks finally seem to merge into one. That's been my experience, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by