Integrating a new flock

Gearmpr

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
Rakestraw Red Farms Loranger La
When integrate a flock into another existing flock, should I remove the dominant chicken from the new flock to make integrating easier? This new flock has been together but their dominant hen is still in the process of being elected soooo. Should I leave her or remove her

Not sure it will help in the long run since once an alpha hen is removed, another takes its place. There's lots of threads on integration, so I'd suggest searching for them to help you find an approach that will work for you. Feel free to post any further questions on this issue using this thread that you've created.

All the best

Ct

Are the flocks the same age? If not then I'd expect two sub flocks to form. I doubt there's too much you can do but let them sort things out on their own. As long as no blood is being drawn and they are happy I would not worry.

Ct

It's common for sub flocks to form so if they are not fighting then maybe just accept things as they are.
Ct

Actually, even with your cryptic descriptions, it sounds as if things are going quite well. You probably have plenty of room, so the two flocks are comfortable being two flocks. This is very normal with chickens. Even adding young chicks to an adult flock will most often result in the chicks forming their own sub-flock.

Only after many years, as attrition claims members of each sub-flock, do flocks finally seem to merge into one. That's been my experience, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom