Integrating a roo

The Farmers' Daughter

Bob's biggest Fan
Aug 2, 2017
Darwell Alberta
Hi.
I'm getting a roo tomorrow. I'm actually really excited about it.

I know that there are advocates for and against quarantine. I'd love to hear from both sides.

Do I integrate him the same way I'd integrate hens? Separated but beside each other?

Hello...Quarintine is never done properly anyways with limited space..Unless total Bio-Security is taken?..Disease will spread..How I introduced my Rooster..He was a Cockerel the same age as most of my Pullets..Are your Birds over 1 year old?..Is it a Rooster or a Cockerel your introducing?..Is he over 1 year?..
Age of all Birds involved play into the integration...
Anyways, this is what I have done..I put him into a Dog crate out in the yard as the Hens/Pullets free range and I toss scratch grain close by the cage so the Hens see him..About an hour or two later I let him out...Good Roosters will not attack a Hen..He should act shy at first and then after a few days he will start to woo them..
Best wishes....

Hello...Quarintine is never done properly anyways with limited space..Unless total Bio-Security is taken?..Disease will spread..How I introduced my Rooster..He was a Cockerel the same age as most of my Pullets..Are your Birds over 1 year old?..Is it a Rooster or a Cockerel your introducing?..Is he over 1 year?..
Age of all Birds involved play into the integration...
Anyways, this is what I have done..I put him into a Dog crate out in the yard as the Hens/Pullets free range and I toss scratch grain close by the cage so the Hens see him..About an hour or two later I let him out...Good Roosters will not attack a Hen..He should act shy at first and then after a few days he will start to woo them..
Best wishes....
He's about a year old I believe. The hens are all about 18 months old.

Thanks for the tip. That's a much quicker integration than I was anticipating.

Unfortunately I got home just as it was getting dark so all of the girls were roosting already. I brought a pullet home as well, both buckeyes. I could only snap a pic of him because it was dark. It turns out that he's younger than I thought (May hatch). 20171105_171751.jpg

Yes do that for a couple of days to make sure he isn't sick. Then introduce them when they're out and about if you free range otherwise do it introducing a couple at a time. Also give Apple cider vinegar mixed in water, as this will help. Don't buy if he looks sick. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom