Integrating a Rooster with the girls

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
i have 4 girls over a year and 8 that are almost 3 months. The rooster is almost 1.5 years old. I am going to cap his Spurs with those kitty nail caps and trim his nails. Should I wait until the younger ones are a couple months older? I don't want anyone hurt. He has been seperated since he was about 4 months(another rooster is in the picture) but I'm rearranging them. Eventually I will rotate the two boys with the 14 girls(I have 2 more girls that are 1.5). They will never be together in any proximity where they can fight.

Last year when I started out I bought 4 girls, 2 turned out to be boys. I was going to give them to a rescue--still on the waiting list almost a year later. They are both good boys and I'm not interested in culling anything or having them become dinner. They are both pretty amazing.

So I am regrouping. Duke has been in the house for almost a year-it his time to be out there and so far he is doing everything right. He made sure they were all in for the night and he is being a gentleman. I even gave him a bath and blow dry, he was very good.

The caps will prevent him from hurting the girls backs. I was concerned because 8 of the girls are younger. You can't really see the caps--they are clear. I will change them every 6-8 weeks.

I really didn't have to worry . They are following him everywhere

image.jpg

i have 4 girls over a year and 8 that are almost 3 months. The rooster is almost 1.5 years old. I am going to cap his Spurs with those kitty nail caps and trim his nails. Should I wait until the younger ones are a couple months older? I don't want anyone hurt. He has been seperated since he was about 4 months(another rooster is in the picture) but I'm rearranging them. Eventually I will rotate the two boys with the 14 girls(I have 2 more girls that are 1.5). They will never be together in any proximity where they can fight.
14 hens for 2 roosters in limited space is the recipe for dominance fights on a regular basis. The one to be concerned about is the new rooster. He's probably gonna take a beating.

14 hens for 2 roosters in limited space is the recipe for dominance fights on a regular basis. The one to be concerned about is the new rooster. He's probably gonna take a beating.

The two roosters came together and were raised together but they are not and will not be together. Duke has 12 girls and Prince is with the original two girls. Prince is huge and has to catch the girls to mate, which isn't easy for him, but he is not a over mater either. I will let those girls hatch some chicks if they go broody. The two older girls are brutal. The only way to integrate is to let them hatch some babies.

Duke and his girls have a 15x16 run and I'm expanding and making another area for Prince and his girls. That run will be about 10x15.

The coop I'm building will be one coop but seperated into 4 parts. Two areas will be 4x6--these will be used to seperate the boys from the flock if need be or to put chicks or injured birds, etc. The one side will be 8x8 rougly and the other side will be about 8x6. Seperation will be plywood about 5 ft up and then wire on the top part so ventilation throughout but no contact.

The two roosters came together and were raised together but they are not and will not be together. Duke has 12 girls and Prince is with the original two girls. Prince is huge and has to catch the girls to mate, which isn't easy for him, but he is not a over mater either. I will let those girls hatch some chicks if they go broody. The two older girls are brutal. The only way to integrate is to let them hatch some babies.

Duke and his girls have a 15x16 run and I'm expanding and making another area for Prince and his girls. That run will be about 10x15.

The coop I'm building will be one coop but seperated into 4 parts. Two areas will be 4x6--these will be used to seperate the boys from the flock if need be or to put chicks or injured birds, etc. The one side will be 8x8 rougly and the other side will be about 8x6. Seperation will be plywood about 5 ft up and then wire on the top part so ventilation throughout but no contact.

Sounds like you’re managing this very well! I’m also worried about putting some younglings in with one of my cockerels, so this is very helpful! Thanks

Sounds like you’re managing this very well! I’m also worried about putting some younglings in with one of my cockerels, so this is very helpful! Thanks

Breeding roosters or young cockerels generally do not chase the pullets or hens for that matter that have not colored up on the comb and cheeks. Probably an evolutionary thing since any roosters that did chase after non breeding hens or pullets very rarely passed on their line.

Back
Top Bottom