Integrating baby chicks and when to introduce scratch

Kcjohnso83

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
We have six ameraucana chickens that are probably a year and a half old. We got 12 baby chicks (4 ameraucana, 2 polish, 2 Cochin, 2 buckeyes, and 2 maran) about a month ago that are in a separate “condo” (a smaller manufactured chicken house with a ramp and run underneath it), which is located in our chicken run. We started with our original four and added two that were from their original flock, and they attacked one of them mercilessly. We finally found Blukote and they have accepted her. Hence, I am now wondering when and how to integrate the chicks with the chickens. They see each other all day long, as the baby coop is in the chicken run. But having had such a bad experience with poor Tinker, I’m now concerned that their run won’t be big enough and that they will bully the babies. I’m also wondering at what age to give scratch? I currently mix scratch with grit and oyster shell for my laying hens.

Attachments

• 04CD20FD-E1B5-43E8-957E-53093ED024AC.jpeg
    04CD20FD-E1B5-43E8-957E-53093ED024AC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 814076F1-33F1-4348-850E-F8E37FBD5CDD.jpeg
    814076F1-33F1-4348-850E-F8E37FBD5CDD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Thank you. I mix grit and oyster shell in with my scratch every time I open a new bag. Is it okay to give the chicks that mixture?

As far as integrating chicks in, I do it early: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ . You're on the right track for trying something similar, but I'm concerned that the run is too small for the total number of birds, and it could use a bit more clutter, which is really essential to give chicks coverage if adults chase after them.

Do you happen to know your total run sq footage? Do you free range at all?

Thank you. I mix grit and oyster shell in with my scratch every time I open a new bag. Is it okay to give the chicks that mixture?

No, because that mixes in oyster shell with the treats. Oyster shell is best served on a container on the side, for hens that need it to take.

As far as integrating chicks in, I do it early: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ . You're on the right track for trying something similar, but I'm concerned that the run is too small for the total number of birds, and it could use a bit more clutter, which is really essential to give chicks coverage if adults chase after them.

Do you happen to know your total run sq footage? Do you free range at all?

No, because that mixes in oyster shell with the treats. Oyster shell is best served on a container on the side, for hens that need it to take.
Okay. Thank you.

I believe the run is 8’ x 12’. We can add places to hide.

So that's about enough space for 9-10 birds assuming they all get along. Are you planning on keeping all the chicks? You'll need to plan on an expansion for sure if that's the case. I'd aim for at least 200 sq ft total run space to fit all the birds.

Oh yes, also make sure for the hiding spots you add, that there's at least 2 exit routes for each. Don't place anything in such a way that a chick can get trapped in by hens.

Oh boy. My husband will not be thrilled. They also can go in and out of their chicken coop. I will have to work on him to expand the coop. Shoot! I was taken in by their adorableness...

Back
Top Bottom