Integrating Chicks Hatched Indoors

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
with some being raised outdoors by Momma. Well, actually 3 Mommas! I have 4 chicks that hatched inside (the eggs were under broody hens, and when 6 had hatched, the hens decided they were done, so I brought the rest inside to finish under a heat lamp) and I would like to integrate them with the other chicks and the three hens. Do I just put them out in the pen and the hens won't notice there are more chicks, or is there a better way to do it? Should I try putting them in at night? I don't want to lose any----one of my 3 silkie chicks got out of the pen and was killed by my other chickens yesterday.
sad.png

How old are they? If they are younger then a week, and if you have any mother hens who have had her chicks for a week or less or preferably who doesn't have any chicks, then your chances are good that they will be accepted. However, I have heard of a mother with chicks for 2-3 weeks accept 2 two-week-old guineas. It is rare, but possible.

The best thing you can do is to watch - see if they accept them. And not just a few minutes, but until you are positive that they have accepted them. Good luck! MW.

Back
Top Bottom