Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

I have 3 week old chicks brooding in the run (sectioned off). They've been out there for 2 weeks now with a heat lamp at night. If I start integrating now (shared time in run etc), how do you control food? Shouldn't chicks be eating chick starter until 10-12 weeks? How do you prevent older hens from eating the chick food?

Quote:
I have 3 week old chicks brooding in the run (sectioned off). They've been out there for 2 weeks now with a heat lamp at night. If I start integrating now (shared time in run etc), how do you control food? Shouldn't chicks be eating chick starter until 10-12 weeks? How do you prevent older hens from eating the chick food?
I feed an 'all flock' type crumble to all birds, so no problem there.
Just provide multiple feed and water stations to reduce the older birds guarding sustenance sources so the chicks can't get at them.

My Feeding Notes:
I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (a freshly trapped mouse, mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided once in while and during molting and/or if I see any feather eating.

I'm currently working on integration. 6 big girls and 4 at 8 weeks. Not going very well. The first time I let them all loose together in the coop it was crazy. I wasn't expecting the biggers to be so brutal. They were going after the littles. Like really putting effort into chasing them down and pecking the crap out of them. It was chaos. They had only been in there less than a week in cages on the floor. Did I rush it? Am I worried too much? There wasn't any blood or injuries but I quickly made them an area out of reach. A pretty redneck area...old baby gate some milk crates some wood some buckets but it's working. Been about 2 weeks like that. The last couple nights the littles have decided the baby gate is a better roost than what I put up in their corner. When on it the bigs could get them if they wanted but they are leaving them be. Is it time to try some supervised visitation again or wait longer?

I'd allow one big chick into the baby area for 15-30 min. Do this daily for awhile and work your way up to a couple of hours, then a few big chicken at a time.

uote name="Beh789149" url="/t/1159151/integrating-chicks-into-flock-at-4-weeks-old#post_18286976"]That's what I did. My momma hen is mean so she was the last one to go in.[/quote]

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Thank you for starting this thread and for your article with link to here.

So many recommend separation until the newbies are almost grown, I am excited to hear that it is possible, and probably better to start this when the chicks are young.

I am hoping to add to my flock ( now have only 2 - 4 yo greedy hens) - but integration of chicks/chickens is a challenge and I'm quite nervous about the process.

I don't have room in the coop or run to brood outdoors, so would be brooding inside. My first flock was moved outdoors at 5-6 weeks old, but with this early spring, I may be able to move my "potential" newbies out younger. I can section off part of the covered run for the look don't touch introductions and housing for the chicks. And must expand the out of the coop/run extra space - so better get off my bum and get that planned and built.

No questions yet, but following to get ideas
big_smile.png

Not sure if anyone watches this thread since the move, but here's a dumb question:

I have 4 babies to move in with 2 elders (4 yo hens). I am planning separate housing and a protected area in the covered/all enclosed run. No predators can access the area at all.

For the temporary fence - is chicken wire enough for the look no touch time - or will those young ones stick there heads out and get pecked? Thinking about adding a lower level of hardware cloth for that purpose if necessary.

The newbies are 3 weeks old now and am planning to get the area ready so they can visit the new interim home in a week and make their real move when they are 5-6 weeks old.

Hard to know if chicken wire is enough or not...I know with my temporary chicken wire wall the bottom was floppy and bird could get under it...plus the first time I used it was to isolate a naughty cockerel.....so I added the wooden part with HC windows and later added the tiny doors for chick integration.

The chicken wire wall and wooden lower part are separate pieces.
I put up the wall, then the wooden part and wire it to the chicken wire.
I hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom