Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
Checked them before going to bed at 11 and they were silent and still in the box. Checked at 1:30 am still in box, 3:30 am still in box, 6:00 am still in box. Turned on their light at 7 am and immediately heard peeping. Out came one, then another and finally the last one.

Now tonight, I'm going to see if they'll go in the box w/o me having to put them in it. Keeping fingers crossed. :)

I just have to laugh... you may as well have a new born baby! Up all night, but the reason I am laughing, is that is just what I did, so afraid they would be frozen in the morning. It might take a couple of nights of putting them in there, but it is magical when they crawl in there the first time by themselves.

I just have to laugh... you may as well have a new born baby! Up all night, but the reason I am laughing, is that is just what I did, so afraid they would be frozen in the morning. It might take a couple of nights of putting them in there, but it is magical when they crawl in there the first time by themselves.
I was thinking the same thing. LOL Hoping the magic happens tonight, the plan is to turn off the light and see if they go in by themselves. If not, I'll give them a push into the box and not check them until the morning. Now if I can just stick to the plan. :D

They should go in by themselves as it gets dark. That is a harder thing if it suddenly goes from day to night. You shouldn't have to shove them under other than the first time or two until they know that is where the heat is.
The crate is quite dark on all these overcast days. I'll try turning the light off several hours before sunset to see if that gets them moving into the huddle box.

They did stay in the box all night last night w/o me checking on them. :)

Hmm my chicks must still not get the fact their box is warmer than huddling by the crate door. Totally dark and I had to put them in the box again. I'll try again tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom