integrating chicks

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
How difficult do you think it would be to integrate chicks that are 5-6 weeks apart.
I have 3 five week old bantams and have decided I would like 3 more. Can I mix them
while still young...say 8wks and 2wks or 9 wks and 3 wks. I didn't know how many weeks
old before they aren't really considered chicks anymore.

I don't have an answer for ya- but I would like to know this as well! I have 2 groups of chicks that are about 2-3 weeks apart in age and I am ready to put them together, but not sure how to do it.

Group 1 is 7-8 weeks old and outside in the "coop nursery"
Group 2 is 5 weeks old and inside in the brooder

I tried putting them together a couple days ago and it did not go well, so I quickly rescued the younger chicks and brought them back inside.

SOOOOOO what do I do to get them together? Not trying to hijack your thread
duc.gif
heehee!! Just wondering as well
smile.png

Great question! I need this answer too. I have some three week olds and will soon be receiving some nine week olds. I have no idea how to mix them. Gradually I would guess, probably start by letting them meet through a fence?
sickbyc.gif

This is my first time raising chicks so I am far from knowledgeable but this is what worked for me. My oldest chicks are 6 weeks old. And then I have 4 groups that are younger. With the youngest being 2 1/2 weeks old. As it was time for them to go out in the coop I would put them in a dog cage in the coop. I would leave them for several days. The first time I let them out I would keep a close eye on them. I always watched at night to make sure when they bed down that everyone was finding a comfortable place to sleep. Other wise I would have put them back in the dog cage at night. I never had to do that. They find out who is the boss and usually stay away from those chickens. But all and all they have all gotten along well. I have not had any injuries. I do however have a good sized coop for them. so they can stay away from others if they want too. And I free range. So the older chickens are outside a lot of the day.

Short answer? Not always easy. I have 7 week old and 6 week olds that I have never been able to mix with my almost 12 week olds. The size difference is just too much. The older ones tower over them. We tried the same run but separated by fencing, we tried putting a few of the 'nicer' older ones in the smaller run with the smaller chicks....the nice big ones just attacked them right away. The older 12 never fight, so I have no clue why they will absolutely not accept the new ones. I have all age ranges and it worries me a lot too. I have 12wks,7wks,6wks,2wks,1wk and a few days old. Eventually everyone is supposed to live in harmony in the same run.

We have two outside runs. One for the larger chicks, and the second one for the 6 and 7 wk olds (who get along well) They are within feet of each other all day and can clearly see each other, but still EVERY time I try...attacks break out. Really brutal ganging up and everything. ugh!

Back
Top Bottom