Integrating ducks of various ages

VKelly

Hatching
Sep 29, 2019
I am new here but have been using BYC threads for a few years to help answer questions I have had about my chickens. I am looking for some advise about the best way to integrate my ducks who are all Pekin. I have a 3 year old Drake who is currently by himself; a 8 week old drake and 8 week old female who are together; and 5 three week old female ducklings who are together. The babies will need to move out of the house soon (within a week or two) and I am not sure if I should put the two older ducklings with the 3 year old and leave the babies separated until they are older, or should I put babies with the older ducklings and then put them all together when babies are big enough? I could also add a pen for the 8 week olds and keep everyone separate until babies are old enough just don’t know if that will be necessary.

I’d do this put your 8 week an 5 week together after you have introduced them all for a couple days with supervision. Put them
Close to where your 3 yr old drake is so he See them and them him. You don’t want your young ducks in with a mature drake because he may try to breed them. They need to be around 4 months d or older close to laying age before being bred. Once winter sets in have them all free range together and by spring all can be one flock. Over winter hormones should be lower too.

I’d do this put your 8 week an 5 week together after you have introduced them all for a couple days with supervision. Put them
Close to where your 3 yr old drake is so he See them and them him. You don’t want your young ducks in with a mature drake because he may try to breed them. They need to be around 4 months d or older close to laying age before being bred. Once winter sets in have them all free range together and by spring all can be one flock. Over winter hormones should be lower too.
Thank you so much. I was thinking that would be my best bet. I was just worried about the young drake reaching maturity with the baby girls, but that would be in the winter. Do you think 5 week olds will be big enough to be with 10 week olds (which is what they will all be in two weeks)?

I’d say it would probably work just keep an eye on things I just went through it with Runners and so far so good 5 months old now an 3 month olds. Of course some pictures would be awesome love Pekins!

I love these ducks! A few pics. 8 week olds when I got them, recent pic of 8 week olds with mature Drake looking on, and pick of babies on their day of arrival.

Attachments

• 3849265A-7B62-4223-88A7-D28760031D65.jpeg
    3849265A-7B62-4223-88A7-D28760031D65.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 7C8FD5D8-D7EE-4F37-BD1E-BD368F4191E7.jpeg
    7C8FD5D8-D7EE-4F37-BD1E-BD368F4191E7.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 9AF3B499-4071-4A97-8360-DEAF4864543A.jpeg
    9AF3B499-4071-4A97-8360-DEAF4864543A.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom