Integrating Hen Cliques

Loyal Heights Poultry

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
Seattle
Hello,

We've been keeping chickens for at least 8 years now. We've had some chickens pass away and have added pullets from the local grange to our flock without problem. The last introduction went particularly well; we divided the run under the coop with puppy fencing and the two new girls were able to see the established girls and vice versa. After a week, we removed the grating and, a few pecks later they were flocking together happily.

Flash forward and we had some of our oldest/original chickens pass away in early spring. Our flock was down to three and we felt that was too small for happy flocking. We purchased two pullets from our local grange, Cochin hens (which may be bantam hens, not sure--I don't think they're full grown yet, but our last introduction the hens were older pullets and that went well). My husband had thrown away the puppy fencing that we used last time to integrate the pullets into the flock, so we quarantined them in the "up coop" because the existing flock doesn't like to roost in the enclosed coop area (which is about 4'x8') and prefers the space beneath the coop (the "down coop" which is 6'x8'). There is also a run with is about 3'x15'.

We can't get the Cochins and the older girls (a White Barred Plymouth Rock, a Rhode Island Red, and a Black Australorp) to get along. I've tried socializing them by letting them out into the backyard so they could get to know one another in a larger space (which is annoying because they poop everywhere as chickens do and the dog...well, it's gross), but they avoid each other. When the Cochins get close to any of the other birds, the others peck at them and the Cochins flee.

Should I keep trying to socialize them in the yard or should I insist on gating them on one side of coop where they can see but not peck each other? Any recommendations would be helpful. I feel really bad for the Cochins, even though the "up-coop" has acrylic windows and has good ventilation. But they don't get access to the run and only get to dust bathe when I let them out in the yard.

This is also a big mess because we are brooding 4 chicks (2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Light Brahamas) and will need to introduce them as well. FURTHERMORE, we are building a new coop this summer and I was wondering if I should suggest to my husband that we build a "duplex" instead of forcing all the chickens into one coop. They would share the run, just have different roosting and nesting box areas. Suggestions for our new coop to foster integrating the Cochins (and "the Nuggets") are welcome.

I was wondering if I should suggest to my husband that we build a "duplex" instead of forcing all the chickens into one coop.
I wouldn't build a duplex, per se, but definitely plan on being able to split the coop for when you need to segregate birds for whatever reason. I planned two people and pop doors and a temporary wall..there is also a separate run. It been a great attribute, got a broody hen in there now.

Gating off as before sounds like a good idea.
Please post pics of your coop and run for more viable suggestions.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Loyal Heights Poultry
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-22_10-46-9.png

I wouldn't build a duplex, per se, but definitely plan on being able to split the coop for when you need to segregate birds for whatever reason. I planned two people and pop doors and a temporary wall..there is also a separate run. It been a great attribute, got a broody hen in there now.

Gating off as before sounds like a good idea.
Please post pics of your coop and run for more viable suggestions.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Loyal Heights Poultry
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1785211

Thanks for the nudge to update my profile. I went ahead and did that.
We're in Seattle, WA. Right now Highs range from low 70's to low 60's (F) and Lows are usually somewhere in the 50's. We've been having a relatively dry and sunny spring.

We plan to build the new coop over vacation sometime in July or August.

Back
Top Bottom