Integrating hens from old flock into new hens…old rooster went wack-a-do

Garrett33

Chirping
Sep 1, 2021
Good day;
We inherited a small flock of chickens (4 roosters and 6 hens) when we bought our farmhouse. We have since built a new coop and have a you g flock of about 50 hens with 4 you g roosters. My question is, the old flock head rooster just crows all day as if a predator is near and keeps the old flock in their coop all day. Some venture into their run, but they have become so scared they run back into the coop when anyone approached their old coop. I think “Chad” the old rooster has gone bonkers; there are no all day predators in our area. How do I/can I remove the 6 old flock hens and put them with the new flock to free range during the day and then put them back with their old flock at night. I’ll just leave the old roosters locked in their old coop. I can’t totally integrate the old flock with the new, the old and new roosters fight when I attempted this. Help! I’ve got 6 old flock hens that need their freedom again instead of being help in by a crazy rooster.

Good day;
We inherited a small flock of chickens (4 roosters and 6 hens) when we bought our farmhouse. We have since built a new coop and have a you g flock of about 50 hens with 4 you g roosters. My question is, the old flock head rooster just crows all day as if a predator is near and keeps the old flock in their coop all day. Some venture into their run, but they have become so scared they run back into the coop when anyone approached their old coop. I think “Chad” the old rooster has gone bonkers; there are no all day predators in our area. How do I/can I remove the 6 old flock hens and put them with the new flock to free range during the day and then put them back with their old flock at night. I’ll just leave the old roosters locked in their old coop. I can’t totally integrate the old flock with the new, the old and new roosters fight when I attempted this. Help! I’ve got 6 old flock hens that need their freedom again instead of being help in by a crazy rooster.
I have no experience with this. But if the 6 old hens are fine to free range with the new hens and roosters, maybe they could just join that flock and you could get rid of the crazy rooster??

That makes sense; the old main rooster is really a great rooster; when he actually gets the girls out (about an hour a week…😫), the other 3 in the old flock are worthless and should be culled, but my kids like them. Those 3 don’t cause a problem. I think I’ll give it a try with the old hens into the new flock. Anyone else have suggestions?

The roosters are gonna fight, and it depends. For example there are 2 ways this could go down : 1 . you let them fight to asses the pecking order, than when supposedly the old one will lose , he will be in the flock but will mate with his older hens that accept him, or 2. they fight until death witch you dont want.

I personally would try integrating all of them in a singular flock, and see what happens, if things go badly , i would cull the bad roosters so my hens can free range to get all they need to produce good quality eggs

Good day;
I would make a separate bachelors pad and coop for all the old roosters and move all the old hens to the new flock with the new rooster and make them roost in the new coop with all the others so no one will fight.There will be a resetting of the pecking order.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom