Integrating little ones from shared run to coop

BOOMchickengirl

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
I have four chickens that have been integrated since day one together in a coop and run. In the last few days I've introduced 3 silkies that hatched around around Easter, and 4 polish that hatched in the first half of June to the run. (I can't believe how different the polish are than the cochin and silkies, they are so much faster, and fly so much more effectively. Completely different personalities too!) The little ones have places to hide, and for the most part the big ones leave them alone. They were accustomed to spending time in the garden and yard for quite a while now, so while they've self segregated, they have been accustomed to seeing each other.

My primary concern is closing them all together in the coop. Though I have a very solid run, as extra insurance I close the coop up completely at night, and I'm worried that they big ones will attack the little ones and they won't have any escape. Early morning is when I think this is mostly likely because I'm not sure what time they wake, but they are already moving around when I open the coop door in the morning. I could provide some hiding spots in the coop, but not enough to fit all seven of them. I would appreciate any advice.

I have four chickens that have been integrated since day one together in a coop and run. In the last few days I've introduced 3 silkies that hatched around around Easter, and 4 polish that hatched in the first half of June to the run. (I can't believe how different the polish are than the cochin and silkies, they are so much faster, and fly so much more effectively. Completely different personalities too!) The little ones have places to hide, and for the most part the big ones leave them alone. They were accustomed to spending time in the garden and yard for quite a while now, so while they've self segregated, they have been accustomed to seeing each other.

My primary concern is closing them all together in the coop. Though I have a very solid run, as extra insurance I close the coop up completely at night, and I'm worried that they big ones will attack the little ones and they won't have any escape. Early morning is when I think this is mostly likely because I'm not sure what time they wake, but they are already moving around when I open the coop door in the morning. I could provide some hiding spots in the coop, but not enough to fit all seven of them. I would appreciate any advice.
If you put a latter in there, it would give them something to escape on! Wooden, preferably but metal will work as well! Also, they will work it out among themselves, just give it time.

For about the first 5-7 days after my chicks move into the coop with adults, I prop open the pop door just big enough to let the chicks out if they feel the need to flee first thing in the morning. It is a bit of a security risk but if your run is pretty solid it may be worth doing, as it gives the chicks an out if things get spicy in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom