Integrating more hens and roos to flock

desman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Callahan, Fl
Hi, I am new to BYC. I have 3 hens and 1 roo (RIR) that I have raised and are close to a year old. I have in the past two weeks put four more 3 month old (2 hens and 2 roos) in with the original four, this after having them in a seperate pin for a month so they could get used to seeing one another. After a a little bit of a rude welcoming from the roo and one of my hens they do not, at the current time, seem to want to socialize with each other. My concern is will they eventually bond and become one flock or allways stay distant from one another. I will also, in about a month, be integrating 9 more that I have riased together into the flock. I will also be culling out the roos so that I have only two for for the whole flock. They are all free range or are going to be and all will be using the same coup to lay and roost. Will I need to close them in together for a while so they can get to know each other and get their pecking order down or will this happen in an open free range environment.

We started with 3 baby hens and one baby roo, they are their own little flock. One of the little hens hatched 2 eggs last christmas. Those two have NEVER been accepted into the little flock, and since they were old enough to not need their mommy, even she has denied them flock status. They have a new home (hopefully) we can deliver them to any day now, and we pray they will have a fresh start there (also 3 hens).

I wonder if these tiny little flocks are pickier than large flocks?

I recond only time will tell how they come together as one flock. I always assumed that eventually they would. I just didn't want three small groups wondering arround in different areas of the property all the time, harder to keep track of.

Our Houdini is king to his 4 hens. This summer we hatched a clutch of 4 hens and 2 roos. While mama returned to Houdini's flock after 8 weeks, the 6 younguns were their own flock outside even though they all inhabited the same coop. The two young roos have been invited to a friend's Christmas Dinner. It now seems Houdini is slowly gathering the young hens into his fold. We *think* he is only commandeering the ones who are almost at POL, since some stay with him and 2 still wander off. We are hoping he takes charge totally because we really don't want hens wandering around without a rooster standing guard!
We also have a Blue Orpington roo and 3 hens that we are keeping separate. I doubt we will ever let them range together because we don't want fighting.
The question is: once we get another clutch of Houdini's offspring and send him to visit another table, will the other rooster take charge of the whole flock?

Back
Top Bottom