Integrating new ducks into the old flock.

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
My current alpha flock is 1 pair of African geese, 1 pair of Buff Ducks, 1 Pair of Khaki Campbells, 2 Rouen Males, 2 Pekin Females, and 1 Blue Runner female. I have 1 male and 3 females of Swedish/Rouen cross that are mostly integrated with them, but not completely yet. This spring I'm getting 14-15 more waterfowl. They were going to be this: 2 Pairs of Muscovies, 1 Black Swedish female, 2 Blue Swedish female, 1 Rouen female, 2 Welsh Harlequin female, 1 Fawn & White Runner female, and 1 Chocolate Runner female. As you can see, everything is female except for my Muscovies. I planned it that way, because I heard flock don't have too much problem taking in more females. And since I heard Muscovies don't have much desire to mate Mallard-descendant ducks, and vice versa, I figure it would make integrating a lot easier. There could be one problem. I was also going to get a pair of Buff Geese. I'm not sure if my 'nice' goosey would take another gander into his flock.

My current alpha flock is 1 pair of African geese, 1 pair of Buff Ducks, 1 Pair of Khaki Campbells, 2 Rouen Males, 2 Pekin Females, and 1 Blue Runner female. I have 1 male and 3 females of Swedish/Rouen cross that are mostly integrated with them, but not completely yet. This spring I'm getting 14-15 more waterfowl. They were going to be this: 2 Pairs of Muscovies, 1 Black Swedish female, 2 Blue Swedish female, 1 Rouen female, 2 Welsh Harlequin female, 1 Fawn & White Runner female, and 1 Chocolate Runner female. As you can see, everything is female except for my Muscovies. I planned it that way, because I heard flock don't have too much problem taking in more females. And since I heard Muscovies don't have much desire to mate Mallard-descendant ducks, and vice versa, I figure it would make integrating a lot easier. There could be one problem. I was also going to get a pair of Buff Geese. I'm not sure if my 'nice' goosey would take another gander into his flock.
where did you hear that? sorry i wouldn't bank on that, not all all, especially if they lack females of their own breed. I have 2 buffs who are paired with scovies drakes, they have ZERO issue in mating with them and choose NOT to mate with another Muscovy here, they have plenty to choose from too.

Onto the next, after a quarantine period, (mind you if ducklings they wouldn't have access anyways, not sure your ages) i pen off newbies so the flock can see, talk and generally mingle with the newbie and then after awhile let the newbie loose..i carefully monitor reactions, some jabbing poking, tackling etc is normal... i won't let blood be spewed though.

Here an example of what i mean this is Licorice she was my fall addition... here she is chatting with one of the summer drakelet hatches, her transition has gone very well.

Last edited:
where did you hear that? sorry i wouldn't bank on that, not all all, especially if they lack females of their own breed. I have 2 buffs who are paired with scovies drakes, they have ZERO issue in mating with them and choose NOT to mate with another Muscovy here, they have plenty to choose from too.

Onto the next, after a quarantine period, (mind you if ducklings they wouldn't have access anyways, not sure your ages) i pen off newbies so the flock can see, talk and generally mingle with the newbie and then after awhile let the newbie loose..i carefully monitor reactions, some jabbing poking, tackling etc is normal... i won't let blood be spewed though.

Here an example of what i mean this is Licorice she was my fall addition... here she is chatting with one of the summer drakelet hatches, her transition has gone very well.

They will have the option of pairing up, but my seller won't sell me anything greater than pairs, but I'm not complaining because at least I'm not getting direct straight run. My quarantine period is generally around 4-8 weeks (weather pending) while they are raised in my brooder. They slowly get introduced to each other during the night. I have one coop, that isn't separated. They slowly get used to each other at nighttime where they can see each other and interact, but generally are tired and aren't as motivated to do so. My aunt said her Muscovies never wanted to mate a Mallard-derived duck. But this one fact is true. Every male generally has a favorite female, and her males favorites' must have been the Muscovy females.

They will have the option of pairing up, but my seller won't sell me anything greater than pairs, but I'm not complaining because at least I'm not getting direct straight run. My quarantine period is generally around 4-8 weeks (weather pending) while they are raised in my brooder. They slowly get introduced to each other during the night. I have one coop, that isn't separated. They slowly get used to each other at nighttime where they can see each other and interact, but generally are tired and aren't as motivated to do so. My aunt said her Muscovies never wanted to mate a Mallard-derived duck. But this one fact is true. Every male generally has a favorite female, and her males favorites' must have been the Muscovy females.

Many a person here has raised mules brought forth from scovies, so the concept is just simply not true. Having favourites is not uncommon, however... i see that here. Personality plays a role too.
smile.png

Many a person here has raised mules brought forth from scovies, so the concept is just simply not true. Having favourites is not uncommon, however... i see that here. Personality plays a role too.
smile.png
My dream (which never comes true) is that the birds just pair up. The Rouens pair up, the Buffs pair up, the Campbells pair up, the Swedish pair up, and the rest are extra if one needs a break. Aren't Mule Ducks sterile.

Yep, but that is why I said they bring scovies into play since they are not mallard derived, actually some don't even consider them proper ducks, i admit i always that was a bit... seriously? but after owning "real" ducks.. yes, they are a bit of an oddity, and definitely more goose like.

I could try some mules here as i have the buffs.. but dunno how i feel about that, it would be an interesting combo.. bet the colour would be nice! a buff and the boys are black and white pieds.

Last edited:
I like the idea of birth control, just me I guess but with Muscovy's it's easy to get over run and no place to house them. {Dreaming of 100 acres with beautiful large pond and a Huge barn for all I could ever want}
wink.png

Hi, I have 3F and 1M Rouen and 1F magpie. Just got Two more males and being a magpie and don't know what the other is. My ducks are 9 mth and the new one are 6 Mth, Right now they can only see and talk to each other. How do I integrating them>>>
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom