Integrating new goose into flock for lonely gander

HorsechickCC

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 7, 2017
BC
So I'm looking into finally getting another goose, to keep with one of my ganders. I currently have 2 ganders and 2 geese. The one gander (Thor) I've had separated from the other male and females for over a year due to him being extremely agressive, especially in spring/summer. My other gander stays in the main pen with the 2 girls (they are bonded to him, one is Thor's mom, the other his sister). I keep them all in the same house at night, with a see through divider. I'm hoping to add a new girl into Thor's pen in hopes that he'll accept her as his new mate and peace will eventually be restored. Any tips with this? I'm hoping this will work, as this time of year he has quite an obsessive attachment to one of the geese (his mom 🤦‍♀️), so I hope there's a way to get him un-attached to her and interested in a new lady. 🤔
Thanks for any help!

I had a gander named Thor too, it’s a great name for geese!

I would start by introducing her to him in a way where he can’t come into contact with her, see but don’t touch. After a few days put them together where the others aren’t around, if the other females start up their excited rage cackle because of the new goose, it drives ganders into a frenzy and he may attack the new goose.
The next thing I would do is give them outings just together where they have access to a baby pool to play and set the mood. They’ll sort it out.

I had a gander named Thor too, it’s a great name for geese!

I would start by introducing her to him in a way where he can’t come into contact with her, see but don’t touch. After a few days put them together where the others aren’t around, if the other females start up their excited rage cackle because of the new goose, it drives ganders into a frenzy and he may attack the new goose.
The next thing I would do is give them outings just together where they have access to a baby pool to play and set the mood. They’ll sort it out.
Another Thor! Too funny! Well my Thor certainly lived up to his name- he's quite a beast! 😂
Thank you for this great advice! I was thinking it's probably best to have them near eachother but not in the same pen for the first while 👍

Another Thor! Too funny! Well my Thor certainly lived up to his name- he's quite a beast! 😂
Thank you for this great advice! I was thinking it's probably best to have them near eachother but not in the same pen for the first while 👍
The great thing is that if he bonds with her he’ll be the best protector of her judging by how you described him.

Back
Top Bottom