Integrating new pullets/roo

JennyFromTheBawk

Chirping
Jun 14, 2019
Central Alberta
i have 16 pullets and 7 Roos (one Roo I won’t be butchering; probably a buff orp) and I want to start incorporating them into my existing flock of 11 ISA Brown and 2 Orpington hens (lav and black x buff) and 2 Orpington roosters (lav and a black that I will be having for dinner in the next couple months since I don’t need two and I want to keep the lav). Anyways, I have the new chicks, half 9 weeks and half 11 weeks old in a chicken tractor that is close to the coop so that they can socialize without touching. I’ll keep them in the tractor for a week or so and then hopefully add them to the rest. My question is, will the adult roosters try to mate with the new pullets or will they know to wait until they start laying? I just don’t want my huge Orpington roosters to damage the young pullets (although they are pretty much the same size as the ISA Browns are).

I raise cockerels and pullets with the flock every year. My broody raised chicks are with the flock from Day 1, my brooder raised chicks are integrated at either 5 weeks or 8 weeks, it varies depending on circumstances. I do not have any problems with an older rooster mating the pullets as they grow, not until they are ready to lay. The immature cockerels will but that is part of chicken adolescence.

You are managing them differently than I do, my brooder is in the coop so they are raised with the flock. That's why I can integrate so young. In my opinion the longer you wait to integrate them the more likely you are to have issues like that but at that age I'd not worry about it. I think your plan is a good one.

When the hormones hit the cockerels things will get lively down there. I consider that a natural part of chicken adolescence and as long as no one is getting hurt, well no one is getting hurt. But if it becomes a problem for you, isolate the cockerels or eat them.

I've bee keeping my rooster separate for awhile to give the hens a rest, however I tried re-integrating him with the flock. I have 3BR pullets who are just one month shy of anticipated egg laying and I was concerned that he would try to have his way with them. As far as trying to mate, he didn't so that was a relief. I did have to return him to his bachelor pad because he is really big and a little too rough on the girls. All in all, I would recommend keeping all the roos away from the girls until they are all a little more mature.

Do your pullets and hens both eat the same feed? My pullets are on grower/finisher and my hens on layer feed.
I switched to All Flock because the layer feed is not really all l that good for the rooster and the "littles" were around 7 or 8 weeks old when I moved them on to the All Flock. So I'll stick with that. They also get oyster shell on the side.

Do your pullets and hens both eat the same feed? My pullets are on grower/finisher and my hens on layer feed.

I practically always have juveniles with my flock so I never feed Layer. The extra calcium can be harmful to growing chicks. There is also the question as to whether the extra calcium hurts non-laying chickens, some say yes, some say no. I avoid all that by feeding them all the same thing, typically a grower, and offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need the extra calcium for their egg shells seem to know it and the others don't eat enough oyster shell to harm themselves.

I practically always have juveniles with my flock so I never feed Layer. The extra calcium can be harmful to growing chicks. There is also the question as to whether the extra calcium hurts non-laying chickens, some say yes, some say no. I avoid all that by feeding them all the same thing, typically a grower, and offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need the extra calcium for their egg shells seem to know it and the others don't eat enough oyster shell to harm themselves.
Ditto Dat^^^

Back
Top Bottom