Integrating one young bird

If you can section off that run for the day time, placing the feed bowls close to the fence, so that they do some safe interactions. Bring her back in at night for a bit or take the dog kennel into the garage or house. (Your husband is very tolerant, mine would be committing me) for a couple of days. Then lock the laying hens outside the set up for the day, allowing the newly to explore the run and coop set up. Having some hide outs is good, chase her a bit so she finds them. A one way gate is a VERY GOOD idea. Just big enough for the little one to go into, and the big ones can't follow.

I don't think you need a new coop yet, but I do have two and it is fun!

Mrs K

He really is a saint when it comes to me and my animal endeavors. Luckily for me he's got a huge soft spot for all animals and after seeing the chickens racing around being chased by little kids, he was ready to bring them all home, haha. He has requested that the crate she's in be relocated to the living room, our bedroom smelled like a chicken coop last night, yuck. Happily complied with that request, haha. She seems to be in great health, eating, drinking and pooping normally. She's so cute. When I take her out she climbs right up onto my hand. I think we will definitely try putting her in the run during the day while the ladies are free ranging so they can see her and smell her and the ladies will get their food, water and treats right outside so their forced near eachother. Hopefully they will accept her and we can integrate them soon. Otherwise we'll have a house chicken until she's full-sized!

Anybody with any guesses on her age? I can get more photos if it will help. We're thinking somewhere around 10-12 weeks-ish based on googling young chicken photos, haha.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas! <3

Well ... Tulip now has two new friends. Rose and Daisy joined us today, australorp/EE crosses. They're 3 months old, and actually quite a bit bigger than Tulip, so now we're really wondering about her age. Thinking more like 8-10 weeks old. The new girls are currently sleeping in the goat shed, Tulip is still indoors and hopefully they'll all be together soon! Will post pics tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom