Integrating pullets

aggiesharx

Hatching
Aug 21, 2017
Hi everyone,

New to posting in BYC but have been learning and scouring the boards for a long time. I've read dozens of posts, articles, and book chapters about integrating new flock members and did my best to follow them to a "t." I finally reached the step of adding the new chickens to the run, but for the last few weeks they haven't been sleeping in the coop (placed in a dog crate inside the run for safety). They finally made it into the coop to sleep with the other chickens (yay!!) but they're sleeping in the nesting boxes instead of on the roosts.

My question is: How long do I allow them to sleep in the nesting boxes? Do I temporarily block them from the boxes with cardboard? Integration has been SUPER SLOW, nearly 2 months ago they were placed in a run outside the main run for exposure, followed by free ranging together, etc. I know I need to be patient, but I need advice on how to finish this process and get them fully integrated while keeping them safe.

Thanks so much for reading, and for your time.

New chicken owner,
Laura

:welcome Glad you could join!

Until a few weeks ago, 2 of my hens always slept in the nesting boxes. You could try blocking them off, to see where they sleep. I think they will stay there if they are comfortable.

My question is: How long do I allow them to sleep in the nesting boxes?
Welcome out of the closet ;)

Answer is, IMO,
not one minute longer than from the time you find them sleeping there.

If there is plenty of roost length, at least one foot per bird, just block the nests off an hour before roost time then unblock when you lock up after dark or first thing in the morning if you have laying birds that need those nests. Knowing your coop setup, pics would really help, could garner more specific suggestions.

It helps to have separate and a bit lower roosts for new birds, especially if they are young and not laying yet.

This what I have, took my angled anti-roost board over nests, scabbed on some cardboard and hinged it. Much easier to manage. Last year had to use cover for 2 months, this year 2 days before youngsters found there way to the main roosts, never even used the lower roosts.
1062452-5a2f890cda44126dab89dcec57c66c53.jpg

1062451-729b406ceb6471306e55621ce201b1d0.jpg

Thank you for your replies. Them sleeping in the nesting box is def not a long term solution as I can only deal with poopy eggs for so long. However, my two new pullets are now back to sleeping outside the coop. My coop is pretty small ... I didn't realize they needed 1 foot/bird as my original 4 get cozy and there appeared to be plenty of room. Is there any hope of getting them fully integrated into the coop, or do I need to start thinking about a separate structure for the new ones to have a safe place to sleep? Pictures of my setup are below. The dog crate in the bottom right corner is where the newbies currently sleep (or rather where I have to physically place them at night.) Any additional insight would be deeply appreciated. Thanks so much.
IMG_5682.JPG
IMG_5677.JPG

What is the square footage of the coop itself? Best case scenario is to have at least 4 square foot of space per bird. If your nest boxes are inside taking up floor space you need to deduct that amount of space in your calculation. Your run areal looks more then spacious enough but the coop not so much, but picture can be deceiving.

The coop itself is indeed quite small (3ft x 2ft x 3ft) so if my high school geometry lessons stuck, that makes about 18 sq ft? Def not 4 sq ft per bird. Think we need to build an add-on or bring a 2nd coop in? Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

The coop itself is indeed quite small (3ft x 2ft x 3ft) so if my high school geometry lessons stuck, that makes about 18 sq ft? Def not 4 sq ft per bird. Think we need to build an add-on or bring a 2nd coop in? Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.
Would be 18 Cubic feet....
...but only 6 Square feet of floor space, which is what we chickeneers use.

Last edited:
When your newbies finally made it into the coop, did they just start going in themselves, or did you place them in there?

They never made it in, we brought in a 2nd coop ... Cluck Norris still won't allow them in the main coop

Back
Top Bottom