Weirdly calm pullet addition

DC_WIngnut

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
Wisconsin
So today I had two bielefelder pullets and one BCM cockerel I added to our main flock. There were 8 weeks. The cockerel while cute and lovely will probably be rehomed in the next two weeks but I didn’t want to separate him from his two gals to integrate them into the main flock and leave him lonely.

Our grow out pen is attached to the main run. It’s separated by chicken wire so from the moment anyone is in there the no see no touch begins. The cockerel and pullets have been in there since they were about 4 weeks old so the last month.

I integrated 9 pullets and one cockerel all about a month ago with our existing 7 hens. It was a bit wild but no bloodshed or anything the first two days then just small occasional squabbles after.

Today I made a small door for the new three to enter at their leisure a month later and it was as if nobody cared they were there compared to the last integration. Their run grew by about 30 square feet and an additional water and feeder was gained as well as a bigger dust bath.

I couldn’t believe how chill it was. Even the slightly older batch of pullets acted like they had always been around the month younger ones. Anyhow I was just surprised at that low key integration. Maybe because the two new pullets had their own mini watchdog? Or the two new pullets are so close in age and size with the other pullets who aren’t mature and laying yet either?

I was happy with how smooth it all went.

Attachments

• IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4854.jpeg
    IMG_4854.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4849.jpeg
    IMG_4849.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 14
So today I had two bielefelder pullets and one BCM cockerel I added to our main flock. There were 8 weeks. The cockerel while cute and lovely will probably be rehomed in the next two weeks but I didn’t want to separate him from his two gals to integrate them into the main flock and leave him lonely.

Our grow out pen is attached to the main run. It’s separated by chicken wire so from the moment anyone is in there the no see no touch begins. The cockerel and pullets have been in there since they were about 4 weeks old so the last month.

I integrated 9 pullets and one cockerel all about a month ago with our existing 7 hens. It was a bit wild but no bloodshed or anything the first two days then just small occasional squabbles after.

Today I made a small door for the new three to enter at their leisure a month later and it was as if nobody cared they were there compared to the last integration. Their run grew by about 30 square feet and an additional water and feeder was gained as well as a bigger dust bath.

I couldn’t believe how chill it was. Even the slightly older batch of pullets acted like they had always been around the month younger ones. Anyhow I was just surprised at that low key integration. Maybe because the two new pullets had their own mini watchdog? Or the two new pullets are so close in age and size with the other pullets who aren’t mature and laying yet either?

Congrats! That's exactly how you want it to go, and you pulled it off perfectly.

I have been adding new chicks about every 6 months since I starting keeping chickens (3 1/2 yrs), ya know avian algebra and all that😂 and this year I have had multiple batches of grow outs, buy 3 weeks they are all over the place mingling with the bigs. My #1 and #2 hens have been with me from the beginning so I think it's just a normal thing to them anymore, and they keep the others in line and let them know what is and isn't acceptable. I kept a single pullet from my last hatch (which usually isn't advised) and she has been with the flock in the big coop for 3 weeks now, zero issues. I have a separate 6x8 area in my run with a little grow out coop and hidey holes, it's worth it's weight in gold because it has made everything easy breezy this year! Congrats on a great integration! In the first pic you can see one of the hidey holes to the right, second pic is my single pullet Lilith hanging out while I chill with the littles.

Attachments

• 20231010_161551.jpg
    20231010_161551.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20231025_162216.jpg
    20231025_162216.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231024_202634_Blink.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_202634_Blink.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 13
I have been adding new chicks about every 6 months since I starting keeping chickens (3 1/2 yrs), ya know avian algebra and all that😂 and this year I have had multiple batches of grow outs, buy 3 weeks they are all over the place mingling with the bigs. My #1 and #2 hens have been with me from the beginning so I think it's just a normal thing to them anymore, and they keep the others in line and let them know what is and isn't acceptable. I kept a single pullet from my last hatch (which usually isn't advised) and she has been with the flock in the big coop for 3 weeks now, zero issues. I have a separate 6x8 area in my run with a little grow out coop and hidey holes, it's worth it's weight in gold because it has made everything easy breezy this year! Congrats on a great integration! In the first pic you can see one of the hidey holes to the right, second pic is my single pullet Lilith hanging out while I chill with the littles.
Love all of this! Thanks for sharing your set up!

I hadn’t heard that before but oh boy don’t fan my confidence flames too much. I’ll have to build a second coop 😂
Grow them out, keep what you like, and sell the rest, you'll come out on top! I've only added 3 new pullets to my flock this year, but with egg and chick sales,I am currently in the plus, which will pay for my slacking orp pullets that have not started laying (and probably won't till January) they are currently 30 weeks old. My old ladies (OG's) get to stay, there's only 3, but the rest I base on friendliness and demeanor. Your ladies can pay for themselves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_182741_Flockstar.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_182741_Flockstar.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom