Integrating Salmon Faverolles

Baldwinette

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Colorado
Hi there, we got two Salmon Faverolles 3 weeks ago and even though it’s still a ways out, I’m starting to worry about integrating them into our existing flock. We have a Cream Legbar, Golden Cuckoo Maran, Speckled Sussex, Exchequer Leghorn and two girls where we’re not sure about their breed. The coop is big enough to accommodate the new girls, but from everything I’m reading this particular breed tends to be picked on quite a bit and my heart can’t stand the thought of them getting bullied and/or hurt!
Any ideas from all you veteran chicken experts would be greatly appreciated!
Here are Poppy & Pearl 💛💛
D9850C3D-E329-4286-BC05-4418AB718BCF.jpeg
E27606B7-B0BE-4191-B9E4-78FF5CE9DBD3.jpeg

Our Faverolle got SUPER beat up when we put her in the coop. The breed is just SO submissive. She never fought back, just sat and took it. We kept them seperated in the coop via a guinea pig cage, so the other girls could see them. We also used some anti cannabilism stuff thats meant to taste real gross so the chickens didn't peck at her. We also made sure the three babies (one of them being the Faverolle) where plenty old enough to hold their own if they needed to. It will take a few days for them to establish their pecking order, they will fight. They heal up real well and unless there are serious open wounds, don't worry about it too much. Feeding them together also helps. We fed them scratch every day and after awhile they eventually learned to ignore eachother. They are seperate groups, and in no ways super goody goody with eachother, but the adults dont chase the young ones around the yard anymore. A sucess in my books.

Our Faverolle got SUPER beat up when we put her in the coop. The breed is just SO submissive. She never fought back, just sat and took it. We kept them seperated in the coop via a guinea pig cage, so the other girls could see them. We also used some anti cannabilism stuff thats meant to taste real gross so the chickens didn't peck at her. We also made sure the three babies (one of them being the Faverolle) where plenty old enough to hold their own if they needed to. It will take a few days for them to establish their pecking order, they will fight. They heal up real well and unless there are serious open wounds, don't worry about it too much. Feeding them together also helps. We fed them scratch every day and after awhile they eventually learned to ignore eachother. They are seperate groups, and in no ways super goody goody with eachother, but the adults dont chase the young ones around the yard anymore. A sucess in my books.
Great advice, thank you. We might keep them inside a little longer than usual at night, it’s still freezing in Colorado and likely will stay that way into spring. At least they have each other, right? 😅

Yes! We kept ours inside until they outgrew their dog kennel. They could barley walk around by the time we said well , I'm sorry ladies but there's nothing else we can do. Every single day we free ranged them outside with the big ones, then caught them and put them back to the dog kennel at night.This went on for months.. one night we just stuck em in there without the GP cage and after a few days of fighting.. they got over it. The faverolle was the only one who ended up with a open wound, about 1 inch around. They just barley broke her skin , and she healed up fine. The other two had bits pecked out of their crown and legs but fighting is to be expected, the pecking order saying was made up for a reason! they take the pecking order very seriously.

They now eat together, they spent ALL winter in the coop together, no fighting. They aren't best friends, but they tolerate eachother.

Yes! We kept ours inside until they outgrew their dog kennel. They could barley walk around by the time we said well , I'm sorry ladies but there's nothing else we can do. Every single day we free ranged them outside with the big ones, then caught them and put them back to the dog kennel at night.This went on for months.. one night we just stuck em in there without the GP cage and after a few days of fighting.. they got over it. The faverolle was the only one who ended up with a open wound, about 1 inch around. They just barley broke her skin , and she healed up fine. The other two had bits pecked out of their crown and legs but fighting is to be expected, the pecking order saying was made up for a reason! they take the pecking order very seriously.

They now eat together, they spent ALL winter in the coop together, no fighting. They aren't best friends, but they tolerate eachother.
This sounds very similar to how I see it going for us as well. Good to know it all worked out in the end! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom