Integrating to a flock w/ a rooster

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
I will be integrating a Black Copper Maran into a Bantam Flock led by a Silkie Roo. I do have another standard hen (who was raised with the bantams) who is raising 4 standard chicks right now.

I know the see don’t touch integration, but the Roo is not happy about the new hen. I have been out in the yard with the new hen and the rooster will ran across the yard to inform her he is boss. When she is contained, he stalks her step by step.

How does integrating work with a new hen to an established flock and a rooster?

Would I possibly have to remove the rooster and put him in the no touch pen? Or let them work it out if no one is being injured? Just wondering how everyone has had to handle their situation.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would expect it to take a few weeks. I would continue to pen the hen where everyone can see her for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer before trying to release her and see how it goes. If things don't go well. Pen her back up and try the next day. Keep at it until she's mostly accepted.

Thanks. I think she will be fine with everyone but the Roo and it will just take time. She has been in my bathroom for 3 weeks and she seems happy just to be there.

Thanks. I think she will be fine with everyone but the Roo and it will just take time. She has been in my bathroom for 3 weeks and she seems happy just to be there.
For some reason I find bantam roosters to be less accepting of new hens than standard roosters. So it may take longer.

Back
Top Bottom