Integrating Turkeys with Free-Range chicken flock

We bought two three-month-old bourbon red turkeys that I will need to integrate with our free-range flock of 18 chickens (9 austrolop hens, 8 Rhode Island Red hens, 1 Rhode Island Red Rooster).

The chickens are almost a year old and we raised them from chicks. They are trained to roost and lay in the coop. The rest of the time they are out free-ranging in the yard. My understanding is the Turkeys will probably want to roost outside of the main coop. We have a caged area where I was thinking of putting a few perches for them to roost on. I won't make them too high as I will be clipping their wings so they don't go exploring too much.

I pick up the turkeys on Saterday, so was thinking of doing the following.
1. Setting up a separate pasture area for them and keeping them isolated there for a few weeks so we can see if they are sick etc
2. Will then move the two pastures together so the chickens can see the turkeys and vice versa without making contact
3. Letting the turkeys and chickens roam together.

The Turkeys are un-sexed so not quite sure what we are getting. Not sure if they are going to be problem children with my rooster or not.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks

You're getting these for holiday dinners(from your other thread)?
I'd keep them separate until slaughter time.
Turkeys can be very aggressive and need more space to roost.
You also ought to check with your local ag extension and see if blackhead is common in your area, chickens can carry it without symptoms but it will kill turkeys.

You're getting these for holiday dinners(from your other thread)?
I'd keep them separate until slaughter time.
Turkeys can be very aggressive and need more space to roost.
You also ought to check with your local ag extension and see if blackhead is common in your area, chickens can carry it without symptoms but it will kill turkeys.
How can you tell if chickens have blackhead?

Back
Top Bottom