Integrating young chicks to fairly young flock

MonicaMerideth

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
I currently have four 6 week old chicks I need to integrate to my flock of six almost 3 month old chickens. I didn’t think the age difference would matter much in the integration process since they were so close in age, but their size difference is enormous! I’ve read that they should all be close in size before you put them together, but at the rate the little ones are growing it could be another month at least, and they have pretty much outgrown the brooder. Any suggestions??

Can you separate out a section of the run for the chicks to use? A dog crate or exercise pen, or a wall of chicken wire attached to existing fence, will do the trick, allowing you to start the see but don't touch part of integration.

Can you separate out a section of the run for the chicks to use? A dog crate or exercise pen, or a wall of chicken wire attached to existing fence, will do the trick, allowing you to start the see but don't touch part of integration.
That’s what we have been doing for a few days ( separating them in the run ) then we just take them in at night. Should we keep doing that until they get bigger?

Do it for a week or two and watch the behavior of both groups. If the older birds show disinterest in the younger ones, and the younger ones don't flee if the older ones come closer to where they are, you can try letting them having some supervised time together. If things go well you can extend the time they spend out together.

Without knowing what your set up looks like, it's best to have multiple feed and water stations spread out and available as you begin letting them interact, as well as plenty of clutter to provide hiding spots for the younger birds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Do it for a week or two and watch the behavior of both groups. If the older birds show disinterest in the younger ones, and the younger ones don't flee if the older ones come closer to where they are, you can try letting them having some supervised time together. If things go well you can extend the time they spend out together.

Without knowing what your set up looks like, it's best to have multiple feed and water stations spread out and available as you begin letting them interact, as well as plenty of clutter to provide hiding spots for the younger birds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
I’ll try to attach a pic so you can see. They have a mirror coop inside the run that we have separated with a gate so they definitely see each other and they can go into the coop at will. I just didn’t know how safe it was to let them close to each other but I think I like the idea of supervised time. I guess I’m worried that they might do well for awhile then the big girls turn in them when I’m not around!

Attachments

• EFB5484C-AE5F-410B-BC30-8D901C968BEC.jpeg
    EFB5484C-AE5F-410B-BC30-8D901C968BEC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 743B4840-5034-42C9-98C8-9EB6790CD9C2.jpeg
    743B4840-5034-42C9-98C8-9EB6790CD9C2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I’ll try to attach a pic so you can see. They have a mirror coop inside the run that we have separated with a gate so they definitely see each other and they can go into the coop at will. I just didn’t know how safe it was to let them close to each other but I think I like the idea of supervised time. I guess I’m worried that they might do well for awhile then the big girls turn in them when I’m not around!
You can get a good gauge of how things will go in the first session or two (or three), which is why if you have the time to gradually let them spend more time together, it would be ideal.

Do expect some pecking and chasing, that's normal. But what you don't want to see are birds getting cornered and attacked, injured, or chased away from all food/water sources

You can get a good gauge of how things will go in the first session or two (or three), which is why if you have the time to gradually let them spend more time together, it would be ideal.

Do expect some pecking and chasing, that's normal. But what you don't want to see are birds getting cornered and attacked, injured, or chased away from all food/water sources
Thank you so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom