Integration - older into younger

themenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
I've read a lot of threads about integrating young birds into an existing older flock. I'm just starting out and have 20 5 & 6 week olds. I am looking into getting two laying hens since I don't want to wait until fall for eggs, also a young roo about the same age as my pullets. Will the integration be any easier since the bulk of my birds are young and the older birds are coming into their environment instead of the other way around? One of the older birds is broody, so coming with a few chicks, I definitely plan to separate her and the babies out within the run. FWIW... I only have one coop.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Quote:
That really won`t change anything in the logistics. the older hens will pic on the younger ones, but then again it may help "spread the love", so to speak. Highly reccommend an older mature cock instead of a young one. Even if he is the same age as the pullets, he will be young and EVERYONE, including the older hens, will pick on him, because he`s a stranger and not mature enough to be a "MAN". An older cock will simply take charge and treat all the ladies with dignity, at least as much dignity as a chicken can muster. Have fun.........Pop

I agree with getting an older rooster. When ever I have new adolecent chicks to integrate into the laying coop (so yearly), I integrate them with one of my vetran roosters who is more adjusted to changes. I have one australrop 3 year old roo who I have 2 days ago put in with my 10 week old chicks, I put him in at night and there seems to be reletively no pecking order assumed. I plan on moving a few hens in there next week.

Integrate at night.
If you can keep the older birds penned inside the coop in a large dog crate for a day it may help with pecking order a bit.
I would make sure your younger chicks are all healthy and strong before integrating.
Also, make sure your older hens you are buying are not going to tower over your chicks. If you have little bantam chicks, then I would avoid getting big hens.
Just my opinion

Thank you for your replies. I already have one roo (6 weeks), the kids have named him, so he stays unless he's bad. The young roo and hens are Black and Blue Orps, hoping to get some nice blue chicks in my flock eventually. I would take an older rooster if it worked out that way, but thus far, it hasn't. I don't have enough hens for three roos.

Back
Top Bottom