Integration problems

Cardiffflocker

Hatching
Jul 8, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to raising chickens. I was gifted 4 Rohde Island Reds ranging from 4 years old to around 2 years old and I have just brought home 2 Warren pullets around 20 weeks old. The reds are fierce to the young ones and bully them too much. At the moment I have separated part of the run, to have the warrens in a separate, safe space during the day At night they all go into the coop together, although i do have to put the warrens in by hand. After a minute or two soft tones they seem to sleep ok with little noise and no problems. When i let them out in the morning they go into their separate spaces. I've been doing this for over a week, and while i don't mind, i would prefer all my girls to get together as one flock. Is this possible? The reds came from a larger flock so i thought they would accept new friends. Any help and advice would be great. Thank you.

hello @Cardiffflocker - welcome to BYC :frow
From Cardiff by any chance? :gigI'm just down the road to the west.
I have just brought home
how long ago? I guess you didn't quarantine the newbies; in any case it's too late now, but keep a close eye on your Rhodies and your Warrens for illness - either could infect the other with whatever they might have.

They will integrate in time, but a new pecking order has to be sorted out, so there will be some scuffles for a while. Just make sure whoever is being chased has plenty of places to dodge and hide, with no dead ends where they could get cornered and trapped. Good luck!

i was just thinking, if i introduced a rooster would that bring the flock together. Although i couldn't keep the rooster, could i introduce it to bring them together and then remove the rooster?

how long ago? I guess you didn't quarantine the newbies; in any case it's too late now, but keep a close eye on your Rhodies and your Warrens for illness - either could infect the other with whatever they might have.

They will integrate in time, but a new pecking order has to be sorted out, so there will be some scuffles for a while. Just make sure whoever is being chased has plenty of places to dodge and hide, with no dead ends where they could get cornered and trapped. Good luck!
I am indeed in Cardiff, St Mellons. Thank you for the advice. I think i have too many places for them to be cornered. I have some of the garden blocked off for my bean crop so space will become avalible soon when the beans are out. I guess i just keep on and keep hopeing. Thank you.

I brought them home two weeks ago, is it true it might take 5/6 weeks to intergarte?

you're welcome. BTW, are you sure your warrens are pullets? sometimes rescue hens (i.e. ex-production hens) are sold as such.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to raising chickens. I was gifted 4 Rohde Island Reds ranging from 4 years old to around 2 years old and I have just brought home 2 Warren pullets around 20 weeks old. The reds are fierce to the young ones and bully them too much. At the moment I have separated part of the run, to have the warrens in a separate, safe space during the day At night they all go into the coop together, although i do have to put the warrens in by hand. After a minute or two soft tones they seem to sleep ok with little noise and no problems. When i let them out in the morning they go into their separate spaces. I've been doing this for over a week, and while i don't mind, i would prefer all my girls to get together as one flock. Is this possible? The reds came from a larger flock so i thought they would accept new friends. Any help and advice would be great. Thank you.
[/QUOTE
I would try to see if you have more than one or if you can specify one or two specific bullies out of the group of reds who may be doing the majority of the bad behaving and bullying. Then separate out these two away from the flock pack and away from the sight of each other also. Keep feeding and watering them also separately. It may be a pain but do this for a week even two and then try your integration process again and see if everyone isn’t a bit nicer at getting along. Many times you can do this with a food bully for sure. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom