Integration

Megsconk

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
Northeast Ohio
I’m currently in the process of adding one 20 week old speckled Sussex to my two 18 week old golden buffs. We have a very small coop and run and I’m a first time chicken mom so it’s all very stressful. I know I should have had two to integrate (beginner’s mistake).

Right now, I’ve cut their run in half with chicken wire and have them next to each other. They have been this way for almost a week. They sleep together in the roost (we come and take her out at sunrise to put her in her side) and I let them free range together for about an hour every day. When she’s with them, there is pecking involved and squabbling but no blood. They have chased her into the coop when we had them together in the run and she posts up there looking stressed. When I put her on her side in the morning, she’s always up on the roost and the other two are on the ground waiting for the door to be opened. So I know they’re bullying her up there.

My question is: Should I continue separating them or should I let them hash it out. What behavior will tell me they’re ready to try to be together? I really really want to get them together, it’s taking a lot of space from all of them to continue separating

The reason its so hard for her is because she's by herself. if sh ada friend she would be less vonerable and she would have someone to look after her while she was being introduced. Thats okay though, every one makes mistakes, thats just why this is so hard i believe. What I would do, is set up a puppy exercise run in the coop with the rest of the chickens to put her in. Let the other chickens get to know her through the fence that way. They will get to know her better that way! Then after a week, of her in there, you can try again to give them some free range time together, while supervising the activity. if they still don't excerpt her or your worried about her still, you can get a chicken harness, and walk her around then with them so you can break up any fights, this is also a good first step after free range time. Then after a slow introduction with limited time together, you can put her in the coop with them for the day, but slow transition into having her in at night. That should work better for her and she will have some new chickens buddies in no time! :D Good luck, and sorry for the langthly response, Avery:D

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined!

My definition of a successful integration is that no one gets hurt. Sounds like you are doing pretty well on that.

I don't know how big your small coop and run are. It sounds like the coop is at least big enough that the roosts are high enough she can avoid avoid the other two buy getting up on the roosts. To me that's an advantage of having the roosts high enough that they can avoid the others if they need too. That helps pullets avoid amorous cockerels too, not just in integration. It could help if we knew the size, in feet or meters, of the coop and the run. A photo could also be beneficial.

When I integrate it's really common for my juveniles to be on the roosts in the morning while the older ones are on the coop floor. I don't look at it as them being bullied up there, more that they are smart enough to avoid the others. After I open the pop door I have enough room that they can avoid each other out there too. Sounds like you probably don't have that much room. When you leave them alone in the coop and run don't be surprised if she stays in the coop while they are in the run. Probably the only way she can avoid them.

My situation is a lot different from yours. I have a lot more room and a lot more chickens. When I integrate it's generally 5-week-old chicks to a flock of adults and often other older juveniles. I'm having some trouble coming up with a plan.

Since she knows to avoid them and they don't chase after her on the roosts, I'd leave her in the coop/run with them. Do it when you can observe and see how it goes. Base your actions on what you see. A little skirmishing/fighting would not bother me. If one quits fighting and just lays there while the other is hammering on her, especially trying to peck her head, well that is a dangerous situation. As long as none get hurt, you are doing OK. One time I'd especially want to be around is when they are going to bed. That's when mine are most vicious to each other.

Good luck!

Good news everyone! After two weeks I finally told them they were going to have to get along and like it because I was done with it all! 😂 there was some mild pecking and chasing around the run, but they have been very civil and even help clean each other now! So cute. Thanks for settling my nerves!!!

Attachments

• 5D199582-DC98-4D65-8563-0C564B16A553.jpeg
    5D199582-DC98-4D65-8563-0C564B16A553.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom