Interbreeding in Chickens

Feb 20, 2020
Hi all! is interbreeding a problem in chickens? I have a mama hen though she doesn't know it, she isn't naturally broody, and we put three of her eggs in an incubator. Two of the eggs hatched and one is certainly a roo, he is 6 months now. He is mating with his mother and we are keeping them away from each other now. Is this normal behavior and should we keep them apart?

Why do you think you might want to keep them apart? It's a lot easier to answer that question if I know what your actual concern is.

That behavior is totally normal and natural. That's a common technique breeders use when developing a show chicken or a new breed. It's called line breeding. If you are not hatching the eggs that doesn't matter.

Why do you think you might want to keep them apart? It's a lot easier to answer that question if I know what your actual concern is.

That behavior is totally normal and natural. That's a common technique breeders use when developing a show chicken or a new breed. It's called line breeding. If you are not hatching the eggs that doesn't matter.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom