INterested in Chick-N-Barn...

I would suggest going to http://www.kennelvet.com. That'
wink.png
s where I got mine an it costs a lot less than critter cages.

Ok....I'm going to weigh in here, for what it's worth (I don't have a lot of experience).....but...

Back in July I set out to build a coop that would handle 6 hens. My husband and I have no idea how to build anything. We are not handy like most other people seem to be here. So on this board I saw many people using a child's play house - purchased at Lowes - retrofitted to act as a hen house. We did the same (it was really easy to do) and bought a dog run to attatch to the coop as a run. Here is what we came up with in the end:

DSC_0028Large.jpg

DSC_0027Large.jpg

It easily manages the 5 hens (one died by way of raccoon before we finished covering the top) I have. They are quite content in there.

But then a funny thing happened. I thought to myself....Oooh, wouldn't it be nice to have some Wyandottes (so many colors!) and some White Rocks. Oh, and I just love those White Crested Black Polish! Oh, and I love those Orpingtons, too.

Bad news about the size of my coop and all the peeps I wanted. Very bad news. We spent $500 on the playhouse coop 6 months ago, and now it's too small. So now, we are working on converting an old shed into a coop that will let me keep about 30 hens! Yippeeee!

Now the playhouse coop will become my nursery for the 15 chicks I just ordered from Ideal. I'm really excited. My five girls can't keep up with the demand for eggs (all our friends, family, & coworkers buy from us) - we shouldn't have any trouble now!

My point for my long-winded tale is: go bigger than you think you need - or you'll probably be building a bigger one in less than a year. These silly birds are totally addictive.

i really dont think its worth it, I went to my local farm store and they had them for display and its pretty small.then i looked at the price tag and almost fainted
th.gif
My coop is on this page and i made that for 170.00 dollars! THats like 20 more bucks then the chick n run! If you have the time biuld one.

I got mine on Clearance with an additional 20% off coupon from a local feedstore. I really like the barn, not so excited about the chick-n-run thingy.

I built mine up with 2 x 4s
IMGP1703-1.jpg

Quote:
You might as well but a dog house or a wooden play house from Sams Club. Have you seen those chicken coops and arches on ebay? I mean the ones that come from england? those are cool too.

I'm sure that would be fairly easy to do but I haven't seen anyone mention it. If you're thinking of getting this, I would do a search for other postings as I believe a common problem with this coop is they break down fairly easily in wet weather due to lack of weather proofing. I saw one at a local feed store and wasn't impressed with the quality.

Back
Top Bottom