Interesting color......any Cream Legbar experts?

Hi Gary,
Pictured is our (alleged) almost 2yr old Cream LegBar - Lexi. The place we get our birds from are brilliant and always describe and give breed names etc plus the breeder if it's not one they've hatched.
Lexi though, so we believe, shows more colouration and size of a 'throwback' bird originally from the US in the early 70's (having been told by an ex-breeder and bird-show competitor of them) - a 'Fenton', plus she doesn't lay the expected pale blue or greenish eggs but lays pink tinted ones so that probably muddies the waters even further for you, though we did see some (alleged) Cream LegBars pretty similar to yours for sale from our breeder on Thursday, same colouration but a less defined pattern and 'mottled' almost light speckledy grey..........
If any further pictures would help regarding size etc please let me know !
View attachment 2772062
She’s probably not a pure legbar if she doesn’t lay blue eggs.

Yep...The Fenton Blue, Cotwolds, Skylines, Columbines, etc. are all hybird blue egg layers in the UK. I am not sure what a 1970's USA throwback size is. The Standard for the English Leghorns hen is 6-1/2 lbs and the Standard for the USA leghorn is 5 lbs. Have you put yours on a scale to see how much she weights? She looks big to me.

I didn't hatch my first chicken eggs until about 1985 and they were all mixes. We didn't get out first Legbars untill 2010 which is about the same time as the breed was imported to the USA and they started to be available to everyone here.

John Croome is the only person that I know of who had any Legbar in the 1970's. He is the person that David Applegarth got his Legbars from in 1989 and I think ALL the legbars in existence today came from the Applegarth line. :)

Definitely not a pure legbar if she's laying pink eggs.
Wouldn't even be an F1 mix and not have one blue egg gene.

She’s probably not a pure legbar if she doesn’t lay blue eggs.
That's my point, when we got her, we were told 'Cream LegBar' (no mention of pure) and to expect blue or green eggs. She however lays pink tint & a one-time 'Fenton' breeder said with leg length, colouration & egg shade together, it more describes a 'Fenton'. My 'question' therefore is "just what is the perfect/pure '(Cream ?) LegBar' then ??

"just what is the perfect/pure '(Cream ?) LegBar' then ??
HERE is the link to the PCGB Legbar Standard. It lists the Gold Legbar, Silver Legbar, and Cream Legbar Standards. The "perfect" Cream Legbar is a hen that has the body shape and type described in the standard, have stunning plumage that meets the standard, is healthy and vigorous, and lays 250, LX eggs a year that and an attractive blue color.

Back
Top Bottom