interesting dilema about cage vs cage free vs farmer market

Quote:
Reinbeau,

Please explain to me how an unhealthy bird/animal can be a productive one? This accusation that the farmer in question doesn't care for his birds is shameful and untrue, it also further illustrates the lack of knowledge by the so-called poultry experts on this board.

Any farmer worth his weight wants his animals healthy, without health they can not grow or produce. It doesn't matter if you are in a commercial egg unit or in a backyard flock of egg layers.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Reinbeau,

Please explain to me how an unhealthy bird/animal can be a productive one? This accusation that the farmer in question doesn't care for his birds is shameful and untrue, it also further illustrates the lack of knowledge by the so-called poultry experts on this board.

Any farmer worth his weight wants his animals healthy, without health they can not grow or produce. It doesn't matter if you are in a commercial egg unit or in a backyard flock of egg layers.

Jim

+1

Last edited:
Quote:
Reinbeau,

Jim

+1

I'd say they're semi healthy, but sure as hell aren't doted on or happy.

Quote:
+1

I'd say they're semi healthy, but sure as hell aren't doted on or happy.

Nah, not doted on...

But if they aren't healthy the Farmer or Rancher can't make money.

That doesn't mean that the farmer puts them in an ideal situation. In fact, some animals are in some pretty horrid setups. BUT, the Farmer does do their best to keep the animals healthy, because otherwise the Farmer wouldn't make a profit.

Of course this often means that lots of medications are used, and I lean towards crunchy granola organic....Which is why I am raising my own!
big_smile.png

Sorry, I am not going to debate any of this with those who think factory farmed eggs (and food for that matter) is healthy for anyone. Believe what you want, and I'll do the same - and support what I think are sound food production practices.

Quote:
There were no statements made regarding the healthfulness of the eggs produced in various conditions. I was refuting the untruthful statement that the farmer did not take care of thier birds. These are completely different issues.

I support your right to purchase eggs from the source you deem appropriate for you and your family. However, I don't abide by using lies and innuendo to justify your decision.

I also support farmers meeting the needs of the various niche markets that are available to them. In fact I have several customers that produce both meat and eggs in small scale operations that are making very good livings by selling direct to the consumer.

Jim

Quote:
There were no statements made regarding the healthfulness of the eggs produced in various conditions. I was refuting the untruthful statement that the farmer did not take care of their birds. These are completely different issues.

I support your right to purchase eggs from the source you deem appropriate for you and your family. However, I don't abide by using lies and innuendo to justify your decision.

Jim

Agree totally...that was what I was trying to say too.​

Then the birds are euthanized, and new chickens are brought in.

After the flock is euthanized, the barn is cleaned and a new flock is brought in

Did anybody pick up on this? Do you really think they go through and 'euthanize' each chicken? Isn't that what it sounds like? Isn't it more likely they are hauled away to be processed for dog food or something? There is still a marketable commodity there, I doubt either of those farmers just 'euthanizes' them.

I personally have no problem with them becoming dog food, just wondering why it wasn't said.
hmm.png

Quote:
There were no statements made regarding the healthfulness of the eggs produced in various conditions. I was refuting the untruthful statement that the farmer did not take care of thier birds. These are completely different issues.

I also support farmers meeting the needs of the various niche markets that are available to them. In fact I have several customers that produce both meat and eggs in small scale operations that are making very good livings by selling direct to the consumer.

Jim

I didn't lie or innuendo anything at all. I don't think keeping birds in cages or walking around in their own filth for their production year to be taking good care of them. You obviously think differently, which is your right. Don't try to make a silk purse out of a dirty, cruel sow's ear, I'm not buying it.​

Last edited:
Quote:
After the flock is euthanized, the barn is cleaned and a new flock is brought in

Did anybody pick up on this? Do you really think they go through and 'euthanize' each chicken? Isn't that what it sounds like? Isn't it more likely they are hauled away to be processed for dog food or something? There is still a marketable commodity there, I doubt either of those farmers just 'euthanizes' them.

I personally have no problem with them becoming dog food, just wondering why it wasn't said.
hmm.png

I thought that was odd too.

I agree, they must sell them for dog food or something similar (maybe for hotdogs made with chicken meat
sickbyc.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom