Interesting Observation

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by joneus, Aug 25, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Chickens respond to the sound of "Om". Or, at least, mine do!

They're shut into their run because of an impending storm and they are NOT happy about it! As I sat watching them, they crowded around where I was sitting outside the run and loudly clucked & chirped at me (altho, that could be because I was eating something at the time, LOL!). I am a written exam and practical demonstration away from being a certified yoga teacher, so, on a whim, I started chanting "Om" just to see what they'd do. The sound calms and centers people- why not chickens?

At first, I thought they'd all frozen & gotten quiet out of wariness of a sound they hadnt heard before. After a few rounds, tho, I saw all 9 heads cocked in my direction, 5 dilating pupils up front, staring at me, 2 relaxed bodies laying down in the back, and 2 more bodies settling down on the perch.

[​IMG]

Of course, when I stopped and they realized that I had no intention in sharing my piece of cheese, they all started chirping at me again... but at least it was the happy, quiet chirping and not the grumpy, foul beaked demanding clucks I'd been hearing before, LOL!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow.

A couple of my chickens will visibly relax if I sing them lullabies, but I've never tried "Om," on them.

And I really do not sing well at all.

3. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Okay, THIS I'll have to try. Great discovery!

4. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:Let me know if it works out for yours! I thought it was incredibly cool- even my most spastic roo stopped pacing and looked at me! I'm gonna give it another try to see if it was a fluke. I'll have plenty of opportunity- Hurricane Irene is supposed to be coming through here over the weekend and they're not gonna be happy about being stuck inside for 3 days!

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I'll try too!
    But not right now...everyone is sleepin' so it would be cheating. "Oh yeah, it worked great!" [​IMG]

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    < runs to the chicken run to see if this works on my girls.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by