Interesting post about guinea sexing by wing position

kerr_in_ca

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
SF Bay Area
Hi, folks, I don't know from guineas but I read Greenpa's blog pretty regularly. Greenpa has a MS in biology, but more importantly, he has a very perceptive little girl.

http://littlebloginthebigwoods.blogspot.com/2009/05/guinea-saga-31.html

So- I was saying this to Spice, and discussing what we know and don't, and got her looking for new clues to the guineas too.

And probably because she is NOT a trained bird person- she saw one. She described it in a silly, unprofessional, girly way- "I think the females have this hump on their back!" - which made no sense at all, to me.

After some weeks of trained, professional observation, I can state- the females have this kinda hump, on their back. :)

There is, of course, no "hump" (silly girl, birds don't have humps!) What you are seeing is that the male folds his wings high; on top of the rump feathers (that's their technical name), so the the rump feathers are concealed; and the female tucks her wings under the edge of the rump feathers; so the rump feathers fluff up and are - if you're looking- emphasized.

I don't know if this is something everybody else knew already, or maybe it's only true for his little flock, but I thought it just had to be posted on BYC, if no one had already. What do you think? Is this useful?​

It is true. During breeding season, male guineas usually run around with their wings cocked up. The females walk more horizontally with the big hump on her back. I have wondered before if it is extra fat storage for egg making... I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom