Interesting thing my vet told us tonight about dogs and allergies.

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
So i brought my male Saint Bernard to the vet tonight. He is still getting hot spots and his ears are getting bad infections.
So i brought him to the vets for advice and meds. THey did an ear swab and he has yeast and bacteria.. (expected..)
I brought up that i wonder if he has food/grain allregies...
She said that most likely not... that its VERY rare that dogs get grain/food allergies. Thats its usually seasonal or enviroment. She said to test a dog for food allergies is very lengthy and expensive. YOu have to start out with 1 meat and 1 carb.(peas or potatos..etc..) and try them on that food for 6-8 weeks...then move on to 1 more meat and carb..etc...etc..etc..
shes betting its seasonal with him..
hu.gif
and she gave me ear meds and wash and a script for benadryl..he has to take like 6 benadryl 2 x day because he weighs about 160lbs...
th.gif
Hes gonna be knocked out!
anyways..i always thought that food/grain allergies were more common in dogs... i guess not though. its mostly seasonal.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
no offense but I think your vet is an idiot..MOST allergies in pets is due to grains in the food,put him on a raw diet and see what happens,,,tho he may be allergic to the carpet or something else like that..but if all he gets is hotspots there really is no given reason for hotspots,so allergies may not be his problem at all..I dont know why he would need such a high dose of benadryll,a 160 lb person would only take 1-2 a day.

I beg to differ with your vet. Before I knew better and had him a food that contained corn, my late Pugapoo used to practically chew his feet off. I put him on a lamb and rice formula (no corn!) and he was a changed dog. There are all kinds of foods out there for dogs with allergies now. Lamb & rice, venison & sweet potato, fish & potato. Check this article out...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2&aid=143

The canine dosage of Benadryl is 1 pill per 25lbs of body weight every 12 hours.

25 x 6 = 150

I know! I know! I thought that grain allergies were more prevelant in dogs... she says no.. who knows..
hu.gif

I've never seen this vet before..(i go to a fairly large practice *VCA hospital* with quite a few vets..) she was a young vet though...
LoriMN..i'll go check the script again..BRB.. i swear she told me that because benedryl usually comes in 25 mg tabs that hed need 6 2x a day...) i'll go double check...

HEHE...redhen next time just bring the dog to the BYC...we won't charge AS MUCH..
lau.gif
Hope the doggie gets better soon!! Allergies in dogs are a real pain!

Benadryl 100-150 mg twice daily (4-6 tabs)
geesh..hes gonna be zonked!
sad.png

Quote:
LOL thanks! I was surprised tonight. It wasnt as expensive as i dreaded...only $130..that included ear swabs and meds..etc... not toooo bad.

Back
Top Bottom