Interesting thing my vet told us tonight about dogs and allergies.

Quote:
I've seen that taste of wild here.. maybe i'll try that. I know its expensive..but you dont feed as much as the regular food though.. so it almost evens out..almost..lol
right now he eats about 8-10 cups a day *total*..(soaked in water) i feed him 2 x a day...
wonder how much taste of wild he'd eat/need for his weight?

yuckyuck.gif

i can see it now a hyped up 160lb dog running laps of the house... look out chickens
gig.gif

Okay I have a golden and she eats her feet raw....We changed her to a RX dog food HD....Now she only chews her feet when it is very wet outside.....I try to keep her feet trimmed......
Good Luck.......
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
PLEASE be very careful about feeding large breed dogs food that has been soaked in water. I would discontinue that immediately. I had Great Danes years ago and have alot of experience with giant breeds. Their stomach can turn on them when the dog food swells up. I lost one like that.

Put food out in a raised bowl and he'll eat when he's hungry. Taste of the Wild is expensive, but what is really in a bag of $15 dog food? Not much meat or quality food, that's for sure!

ETA: My first Dane was 240 lbs! He's been gone 16 years now and I still miss that guy
sad.png

Last edited:
Big Red's Mom :

Quote:
Or he is gonna run around like he has lost his mind...

*gasp* thats TRUE! thats how it makes me feel...i get antsy...
ooh great... heeeelp..
lol.png

Quote:
PLEASE be very careful about feeding large breed dogs food that has been soaked in water. I would discontinue that immediately. I had Great Danes years ago and have alot of experience with giant breeds. Their stomach can turn on them when the dog food swells up. I lost one like that.

Put food out in a raised bowl and he'll eat when he's hungry. Taste of the Wild is expensive, but what is really in a bag of $15 dog food? Not much meat or quality food, that's for sure!

ETA: My first Dane was 240 lbs! He's been gone 16 years now and I still miss that guy
sad.png

hi! Thats why i soak the food..so the food is already swelled before it hits his tummy (is that bad? eeek!!
hide.gif
...)... I also had his belly tacked to help prevent bloat or actually torsion...
wow! 240 lbs...just wow.... i love danes so much...
sad.png
hugs.gif
thanks for the help and info! bloat is my biggest fear... biggest..
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I wish you luck on your dog's allergies. I have a rescue dog that was on the raw diet for over a year then suddenly developed allergies. After trying medications and many, many different raw foods I know she is allergic to wheat, corn, chicken and beef and possibly other foods as well. I got so desperate I just had her on boiled potatoes for a while to ease her itching. I now have her on "Prairie lamb meal and oatmeal medley" and she is doing great. No scratching. I am an advocate of raw feeding but she just cannot tolerate it. I have a Boston Terrier that does great on the raw food. I went to 2 different vets and their answer was medication but I wanted to find the cause and go from there. I'm so glad I didn't give up! All that to say, it may take you a while to figure out what works for your dog but don't give up.
barnie.gif
wee.gif

They say that the recommended Bennadryl dosage doesn't affect dogs like it does us

One pill and my 60lb-er is out like a light
th.gif
hu.gif

Stuff puts me right to sleep too, took it in college when I lived in a noisy dorm when I couldn't get to sleep. Like owner like dog?? lol

Most vets don't know jack about nutrition. In fact, their only nutritional training is often sponsored by a dog food company.....hmmmm!
I can recommend the raw feeding forum on dogster : http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet they know their stuff!

Back
Top Bottom