Interesting thing my vet told us tonight about dogs and allergies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
PLEASE be very careful about feeding large breed dogs food that has been soaked in water. I would discontinue that immediately. I had Great Danes years ago and have alot of experience with giant breeds. Their stomach can turn on them when the dog food swells up. I lost one like that.

Put food out in a raised bowl and he'll eat when he's hungry. Taste of the Wild is expensive, but what is really in a bag of $15 dog food? Not much meat or quality food, that's for sure!

ETA: My first Dane was 240 lbs! He's been gone 16 years now and I still miss that guy
sad.png

The latest advice is to not soak food, particularly if it is preserved with citric acid. It is also advised not to raise a food bowl as it can increase air intake in a gulper.

That being said, when my old Bloodhound bloated it was due to ingesting a large quantity of grass that balled up, and had nothing to do with feeding time.

Here is an experiment folks... Costs very little. Feed your dog meat... cook it if you like... or don't... meat and then after a week make note of his/her odor? or shall I say lack of it... Just a little tid bit... Vet is great or not?... I do not know but one thing is simple.. seeing... In agility and high performance dogs a handler would never dream of feeding dog food from the store... It makes them sluggish and unproductive and hinders their performance... .... and yes it can make them itch and is believed to be the cause of hip displaysia...

Try the meat experiment... feed some veggies too if you want... just no legumes or grains, especially corn (I don't consider it a vegetable)

Quote:
NO Purina, NO Nutro--READ LABELS carefully! Try a better quality diet not sold in a supermarket.

EVO, Natural Balance Limited Ingredients foods, homemade diets of course, etc.

Check http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#commercial for ideas.

DO NOT FEED:
By-products
Corn
Gluten
Animal Fat (fat from the novel protein of that food is fine--anial fat means variuos kinds--too possible for allergic reactions)
ANY Grain (at least to start to see if food allergy)
You may be able to add a grain if you want (not necessary) later.

GOOD TO TRY:
Sweet potatoes
ONE PROTEIN SOURCE such as fish, kangaroo, chicken (sorry little hens), duck, venison, etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't heard of washing with Selsun Blue. I found a puppy shampoo recipe for itchy skin that works well. If anyone wants to recipe, I will post it.

here he is last winter/christmas.. he was about 1 1/2 yrs old... hes bulked out since then..

2008_12250040.jpg

2008_12200032.jpg

Last edited:
I am on a grain free diet.... It is a much healthier feeling... no flattulence or bloated tummy or tiredness...No hot spots for me either... You ever notice ppl with the white spots on their skin...hot spots... they eat a lot of sugar and grain... (true story)

Quote:
I haven't heard of washing with Selsun Blue. I found a puppy shampoo recipe for itchy skin that works well. If anyone wants to recipe, I will post it.

sure! I'll take the recipe for the shampoo! thanks!

Quote:
I've seen that taste of wild here.. maybe i'll try that. I know its expensive..but you dont feed as much as the regular food though.. so it almost evens out..almost..lol
right now he eats about 8-10 cups a day *total*..(soaked in water) i feed him 2 x a day...
wonder how much taste of wild he'd eat/need for his weight?

Taste of Wild is very similar to Solid Gold. On Solid Gold, we feed our dogs 1 cup per 30 lbs. Any more than that and they put weight on. My 60 lbs pit mix is ACTIVE and she stays at a healthy weight on 2 cups of food. We do mix in an egg for them when production is high (my vet said it is ok). So, given the 1 cup per 30 lbs that we use, a 160 lbs dog would need 5-6 cups depending on activity. Maybe less...my Australian Cattle Dog is porky at 38 lbs. My vet wants her to lose weight and is suggesting we decrease to 3/4 cup per day (she should be about 30 lbs).

Back
Top Bottom