Intergrating a bantam roo

Daisey56

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
i have two sweet friendly red sex links about 2 yrs old.
Just got two more around 15 weeks. One is friendly the other is skittish.
Someone gave me a old English bantam rooster maybe 7 months old. He is so funny. Gets along great with the new girls. Iam worried about the older ones
How can I get them together without him getting hurt

I see that all of your threads have been started here on New Member Introductions. For the best advice, I'd suggest ensuring that you post on the forum that is most relevant to the assistance you are requiring. In this case, it would be the "Managing your Flock" forum. Here's a pic that should help you begin to navigate BYC.

How to start a thread.png

To help with your question, I would not worry too much about your cockerel and the older girls. If he steps out of line, they will let him know, but otherwise he should be fine and don't worry if you see him getting a peck, or being chased - some cockerels need to be taught some chicken manners. I've had a cockerel escape from a pen and go straight into the main coop with 15 adult hens on the first day - he was perfectly fine.

The older hens will probably go after your young bantam cockerel - because they generally are hard on young boys and want to teach them a thing or too. When he is older and confident - they will leave him alone.

But integrating your young red sex links and your bantam roo to your mature sex links could be done at the same time., especially since he gets along great with the new girls. Then it would be 3(newbies) against 2 older hens. I'm liking those
odds.

I think the kindest and gentlest way to integrate new birds to old is called "The Look but don't touch method." Done properly there is no bloodshed. You can probably use the search function to find this method.

I see that all of your threads have been started here on New Member Introductions. For the best advice, I'd suggest ensuring that you post on the forum that is most relevant to the assistance you are requiring. In this case, it would be the "Managing your Flock" forum. Here's a pic that should help you begin to navigate BYC.

View attachment 550535

To help with your question, I would not worry too much about your cockerel and the older girls. If he steps out of line, they will let him know, but otherwise he should be fine and don't worry if you see him getting a peck, or being chased - some cockerels need to be taught some chicken manners. I've had a cockerel escape from a pen and go straight into the main coop with 15 adult hens on the first day - he was perfectly fine.
Yep I did post in the wrong place. Sorry
Thank you he is just so tiny. I have heard of them being pecked to death. But I guess bantams can be tough too.

The older hens will probably go after your young bantam cockerel - because they generally are hard on young boys and want to teach them a thing or too. When he is older and confident - they will leave him alone.

But integrating your young red sex links and your bantam roo to your mature sex links could be done at the same time., especially since he gets along great with the new girls. Then it would be 3(newbies) against 2 older hens. I'm liking those
odds.

I think the kindest and gentlest way to integrate new birds to old is called "The Look but don't touch method." Done properly there is no bloodshed. You can probably use the search function to find this method.
Thanks we have been doing the look don't touch.

Yep I did post in the wrong place. Sorry
Thank you he is just so tiny. I have heard of them being pecked to death. But I guess bantams can be tough too.
Absolutely no need to apologise. This new site (less than 3 days old) is taking all of us some getting used to :) And for sure, bantams can be tough little things.

Back
Top Bottom