Intergrating chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Francischick, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Francischick

Francischick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    I had 14 chick hatch last week and 3 to hatch today. I have them in separate quarters for now. I am wondering how long do I keep the younger one separated from the week old ones. Or is it really necessary to keep them separated till the younger ones are getting around better?[​IMG]

2. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I have chicks varying from 5 day olds to 3 week olds, and so far, everyone is doing pretty well. My 5 dayers are with the 1.5 weekers with no problems. They are all pretty small. I even have a silkie in there and she is smaller than the newer chicks and all are doing fine.

I am no expert by any means, but this is my 4th set of chicks that I have brooded and I have only lost one chick (out of about 45 over the batches).

3. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    thanks alot

4. TreehuggerMo

TreehuggerMo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    De Soto, MO
    This is sooo timely. I picked up 8 "6 day" old cochin/wyondottes while my husband picked up 2 3 day old frizzels. The frissels are soo small compared to the others we are scared to put them together. Did you do anything special to ensure they all got along? Your success rate is awesome.

5. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    I put one of the older chicks in with the 3 newbys and they attacked the bigger one. Crazy little mutts. I guess that might be the problem they are having a identity issues cause they are mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by